Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

A/c Question

04-06-05, 03:26 PM   #1  
A/c Question

Greetings, '95 dodge ram , 15 passenger, 5.9litre automatic, one ton. ...For the past 2 summers I have had to have the evaporator coil replaced by my service station at about $600. parts & labor each time. Whenever the system was recharged the coolant leaked out the same day. So, I had it fixed twice in the past 2 years. This van has only 80K miles so we would like to keep it. Actually we have removed the passenger bench seats and made our own little camper out of it. MY question is this, can I purchase a roof unit air conditioner like I see on real campers? Can this be wired for both driving & whilecamping at a park that offers electricity? This would allow me to not to have to fix that darn old evaporator coil again. When I asked the reason that this happens to this particulat ram/van, the tech told me that they are prone to it. (hmmmm). Where would I beging to look for one of these units at a RV camping store I am sure huh? Thanks in advance for the help.

Sponsored Links

MO

04-06-05, 03:48 PM   #2  
You got it any R/V store or also check out and good marine store. They have them also.

Most of the school buses down here have them on the roof.

ED

04-07-05, 05:19 AM   #3  
Thanks Ed, I did check out a couple of web sites for these units. most fit into the standard 14' x 14" cutout on the roof. I have two of those. It says they run off of "generator" or ac current. When they say "generator" does that mean my alternator or a completely separate generator? Thanks again. BTW I checked out the Coleman Air Unit and it appeared nice.
-Bob

MO

04-07-05, 07:28 AM   #4  
When they say "generator" does that mean my alternator or a completely separate generator?
The ones on the RV and boat run off their own generator or say shore power plug in. Now what the ones on the school bus here run on I dont know.

ED

Search this Thread