Slow Starter - 1996 Chevy S-10 Blazer 5spd 4.3L 200k miles

Old 04-07-05, 01:03 PM
keiken01
Visiting Guest
Arrow Slow Starter - 1996 Chevy S-10 Blazer 5spd 4.3L 200k miles

This auto starts 50% of the time with just a tap of the ignition key. If I crank for a few seconds or many seconds, it won't start. When it won't start with a tap (sometimes even a few taps won't work), I remove the intake and put in about a spoonful of gas, replace the intake and it starts right up. Once it's running, everything drives/accellerates fine.
The air filter was replaced 5K miles ago. I don't want to waste $ on a tune-up if it's more likely a problem the fuel pump, filter, etc.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-05, 02:26 PM
You need to hook up a fuel pressure guage to see if you are getting 60psi when you turn the ignition on. You need 60psi, not a pound less, for this thing to start (4.3L VORTEC). If not, you need a fuel pump. You could also cycle the ignition on and off 3 or 4 times(when truck won't start) to build enough pressure to get it to start. Every time you cycle to on, leave ignition on for 2 seconds before cycling to off. After the 3rd or 4th cycle, try to start it. If it starts buy a fuel pump.

Old 04-08-05, 08:02 PM
keiken01
Visiting Guest
Talking 1996 s10 Blazer 200k 4.3 WIPER issues

I tried the advice and will try a few more times just to be sure. I did hear the hum of what I think was the pump as it only lasted 2 seconds. I'm not sure how much trouble it is to re it is to remove the fuel pump, should I check the fuel line filter, fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump relay.

I'm also having trouble with the wipers. They don't stop when I turn them off. If I put them on intermittent they sometimes pause but most of the time they just go as if on slow. Then when I try to turn them off they keep going for a while and when the finally stop it's usually not at the bottom of the windshield where it should be. Also the washer fluid won't spray when it's acting like this.

Thanks!