Spark plug wire "snake oil"...

Old 04-07-05, 06:12 PM
Spark plug wire "snake oil"...

File this in the "If it sounds too good to be true, be suspicious" folder. Earlier this week, a man came by the shop where I work ( fleet maintenance on amphibious tour vehicles) and showed us a product supposed to increase power and economy in gas internal combustion engines. The product was a series-wired string of what amounted to capacitors that clamp onto the spark plug wires and induce something called a "corona charge" effect in the ignition system. The way I understand it, the firing cylinder's wire charges these "capacitors", which then discharge and send this corona charge along all the plug wires to their individual plugs. This charge begins the breakdown of long-chain fuel molecules during the compression stroke, so that more complete combustion takes place at timed ignition, according to the propaganda/literature the man produced. I would like to hear from anyone with any experience or technical expertise regarding such a device or the principle involved. I admit I am intrigued by the idea, but I'm not willing to part with the price of admission if the show isn't going to be all it says it will be. Thanks in advance - Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-05, 07:35 PM
Don't waste your money on this scam.

http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbi...itdevices.html

Old 04-08-05, 04:45 AM
Group Moderator
Good link there, jeff; hadn't seen that one. The Mods need to make a "stickee" for that link.

I tried putting all those things and every other fuel saving gadget on the market on my car once. Only problem was I had to pull over several times a day and drain off the excess fuel from the tank.

Old 04-08-05, 06:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Good link there, jeff; hadn't seen that one. The Mods need to make a "stickee" for that link.

I tried putting all those things and every other fuel saving gadget on the market on my car once. Only problem was I had to pull over several times a day and drain off the excess fuel from the tank.
good one