slight antifreeze found in oil at change

Old 04-07-05, 07:48 PM
slight antifreeze found in oil at change

1994 Mark VIII (8) i just had oil change & a slight amount of antifreeze was discovered when oil drain plug was removed,very small amount. Besides any major repair such as headgasket, could this be a minor problem or common problem for this car ? car has 72,000 miles & isnt driven daily, it runs fine,no drips,no smoke. any ideas where antifreeze may have gotten in there or suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-05, 06:58 PM
Are you sure it was antifreeze or was it just condensation?? you said short drives, so it may be due to the engine not reaching operating temp long enough to dry it out. Put a coolant dye in it to verify the coolant & if it is, it may only be an intake gasket if it has the 302 inch engine Good Luck!!

Old 04-09-05, 04:35 AM
slight antifreeze found at oil change

I just had oil changed at ford dealership & they told me antifreeze but a small amount noticed when drain plug removed. Where would the intake gasket be located & is that a big repair ? or a do it yourself repair ? i was also told it could be contaminated oil, bulk oil ? previous oil change was done at auto garage. any other suggestions ?

Old 04-09-05, 05:52 AM
Group Moderator
The intake manifold on a V-8 sits right on top of the engine in the center, roughly measures a foot by a foot and a half and nestles between the two cylinder heads. It's not a big job, but not one to attempt if you're not familiar with it. If you go to the Auto Zone web site you can probably find the procedure and diagrams to see what is involved.

Old 04-10-05, 03:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
do the dye test and take it for a cruz,,, don't go to far from home

Old 07-12-05, 03:03 PM
it was the head gasket & its still in the shop getting repaired, thanks to all for your advice !!