Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

waterlogged engine

Visiting Guest

04-09-05, 01:15 PM   #1  
jAbbAjAw
waterlogged engine

Hi. I have a 1991 Nissan Sentra with a 4 cylinder engine. During a storm I drove into about three feet of water, and the engine cut off. I tried to start it again, which I was later told was a bad idea if the muffler was underwater. I'm pretty sure it was, and now the car won't start. It sounds like the starter is trying to start, but it won't turn over. Is there any way I can know if the engine is completely screwed? So far, I have emptied the oil and left the plug and oil cap off in an effort to let it dry out. Can anybody help me out with some advice?

Sponsored Links

04-09-05, 01:32 PM   #2  
You need to remove the spark plugs and crank it over to displace the water out of the cylinders. Be careful the water will shoot out with a lot of force

Their is a possibility that you bent a connecting rod, see how it sounds when you get it running.

Group Moderator

FL

04-10-05, 08:37 AM   #3  
Don't forget to put the drain plug in and refill with oil.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

04-10-05, 03:41 PM   #4  
drain the oil first, buy cheap oil and filter to put in to get going.. also check the fuel for water.. after you get it going do a complete service

Search this Thread