Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Distributor Trouble HElp!

Visiting Guest

04-10-05, 05:44 PM   #1  
Labman
Distributor Trouble HElp!

I was tuning up the brides ride, a 98 Jeep Sahara 6 cy. the darn screws on the distr. cap were frozen and snapped when I got a small socket on them,
well, I tried to drill them out and use an ez out which failed. the Alum. housing broke, Tried to get a new Distr. but the cable connection didn't seem right, got the old one back in the car, got the cap on with one screw and floral wire on the other side and it ran like crap. but it ran. I think I damaged it when I was heating up with the torch, Oh I didn't mention the torch did I Well, I have it wired correctly 153624. the idle is up and down, but it wasn't back firing. attempted to adjust the distri, but it seems like it just goes one way or the other. no movement/ I'm thinking the inside advance is damaged from the heat. unless I managed to install it 180 off. which I don't think it would start. but I'm not sure. I'm trying to remember basic auto repair from 35 years ago. I could get #1 cly,top dead center and the rotor should be pointing at #1 position on the cap.
Any one want to jump in and give me some advice. Gonna hunt for a new distributor tomorrow. damn murphy's l;aw, if it can happen, then it will!

HelP!
Labman

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

04-11-05, 04:24 AM   #2  
You might be off a tooth or two rather than 180 out; it would run, but badly.

P.S. The torch was probably not a good idea, but you already know that.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

Search this Thread