Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Transmission rebuild complete

04-11-05, 12:07 AM   #1  
Transmission rebuild complete

Thanks to everyone on the forum who helped me out with my questions. I have successfully rebuilt the trans and it now works and shifts fine. I also now have a second gear. I have driven it about 120 miles since the rebuild.

What I found is that most of the work is in removing the trans from the vehicle. Once it is out, rebuilding/repairing the trans is pretty straightforward. All you need is patience to carefully re-assmble everything including the new parts.

Sponsored Links

04-26-05, 04:56 AM   #2  
Was this an automatic or manual transmission you rebuilt?

04-26-05, 07:49 AM   #3  
Automatic transmission.

04-26-05, 09:47 AM   #4  
Wht type of vehicle and how long did it take to rebuild? How hard was it to get the parts?

04-26-05, 03:58 PM   #5  
The vehicle was a Chevy Metro 2000 (I think it used to be called a Geo Metro). The transmission (transaxle to be precise) was a Suzuki MX17. As you may know many automatics are reused in several vehicles and in this case the MX17 is used also in the Suzuki Swift, Sprint as well as in some Toyota cars. It is a fairly basic transmisssion - 3 speed. Does not have a lock up clutch for the torque converter. It uses a Simpson type planetary gearset.

I estimate it took me about 3 hours to do the rebuild although I did not disassemble everything. I left things like the output shaft in place. I also did not work on the intermidiate servo or the valve body. I simply replaced all the clutch disks, plates and o-rings on the clutch packs and also replaced the second brake band which was borken. This is why I rebuilt it in the first place since this part broke and I lost second gear.

As for parts - yes in general they are harder to locate and your typical auto store will not stock them. You need to track down stores that sell transmission parts. I bought some of the stuff from Transmission Exchange in Oregon (www.txchange.com). They will pretty much have everything you will need for a rebuild. I also bought things like the oil cooler flush and trans assembly lube from Life Automotive (www.lifeautomotive.com). And if you are after the rebuild manual check out the Atomatic TRansmission Service Group (www.atsgmiami.com). They have an extensive set of rebuild/repair manuals for transmissions.

If you are planning on doing a rebuild I would suggest you take some time and read up on how they work and get a good understanding of how they work before working on them. Although you don't really have to understand the powerflows and hydraulics it really helps to know what is going on while you are working on the trans. The ATSG manuals have a section explaing the powerflows and operation/troubleshooting before the rebuild section.

Search this Thread