Ford Taurus check engine light

Old 04-11-05, 10:13 AM
Jkei3207
Visiting Guest
Ford Taurus check engine light

I have a 97 Ford Taurus with a sohc v6 engine. The check engine light is on and has been on for quite a while. I have a scan tool (carchip) and I scanned the trouble codes and it came up with a camshaft position sensor trouble code. I removed the sensor and saw that it was destroyed on the inside. I cleaned out the debris where the sensor sits. I replaced the sensor with a new one and the light was off for a couple of minutes and then turned right back on. The car runs fine and I understand the cam sensor is just a failsafe for the crank sensor, but the fact that the check engine light is on bothers me a lot. Does anyone know why the sensor has broken again and if it is worth fixing (what will it require to fix and time length). The repair manual mentioned an alignment tool for the cam stem that I can not seem to find anywhere.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-05, 02:20 PM
Did you clear the codes with your scan tool after replacing the part? If so, did you scan the codes again and get the same code as before?

Old 04-11-05, 08:05 PM
When this sensor came a part did it bend the shaft or synchronizer window? Sometimes you have to replace both synchronizer and the sensor. Camshaft sensor is for fuel injection timing. You will usually not have a driveability issue. Just a check engine light.

Old 04-11-05, 08:12 PM
Sorry, I forgot to answer the alignment tool question. The alignment tool is needed and the engine needs to be set at TDC (top dead center).

Old 04-11-05, 08:14 PM
Is the engine you're working on the 3.0l pushrod Vulcan?? If it is, the cam sensor syncronizes the injectors so they fire @ the opening of the intake valves. If the new "top" that you just installed is broken again, it's because the bushings in the "bottom" part are worn out & /or the "blade" part of the syncronizer is hitting the cam sensor. You will need the alignment tool, or carefully mark the position of the old one, making sure the new one goes in @ the same place. It will run with it installed wrong, but may hesitate, stall & be harder on fuel. Not a big job, a dealer may replace & time it for you & save you some grief & be worth the money knowing it's in right

Last edited by hopkinsr2; 04-11-05 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-12-05, 07:53 AM
Jkei3207
Visiting Guest
Hey, thanks everyone for your help! To answer the questions, yes i did clear the code, and yes i did get the same code as before. I really want to fix this myself without paying the dealership the $500 they quoted me. The only problem is I can not find the alignment tool anywhere. I am afraid of ruining the drivability of my car without this tool, is it easy to get away without using the alignment tool? Thanks again everyone!!

Old 04-14-05, 03:51 AM
you dont necassarly have to use the tool if you are capable of removing a distributer and installing it back in the same spot then you can probably do this job.
remove the cam sensor and look at the syncronizer blade position sometimes this may be difficult as the blade has been sheared off from hitting the cam sensor and then look at the syncronizer housing position and mark it if necassary use the notches on the top of the syncronizer as reference to reinstall the new synchronizer in the same position.

Old 04-18-05, 07:04 AM
bowtiebutch
Visiting Guest
I have timing issues also with my 96 sable. I found this link helpfull.

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/may20...zer+tool&hl=en