Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

2001 Sonoma Front Brakes Question

NJ

04-11-05, 11:25 AM   #1  
2001 Sonoma Front Brakes Question

Hello Everyone! I have been away way to long. I just had the oil changed in my above GMC truck and the mechanic said I should start thinking about front brakes since I have 30k miles on it. He did not say anything about wear though. As this is my first truck with ABS, my question is: Are pad replacements still a do it yourself option? In the past I would pull the rotors have them trued and replace the pads and hardware. Can this still be done or does the ABS get involved. The mech gave me a quote of $200 for the job and I thought that was high here in NJ.

Thank you "ALL" for all your comments.

Regards,

Doug

Sponsored Links

04-16-05, 05:58 AM   #2  
Your in luck, your truck is pretty much just like the old ones you mentioned you done yourself. You didn't mention if it was a 4x4 so i would assume it's 2 wheel drive . You'll need a 3/8 allen wrench to removed the caliper if i remember correctly and then if turning the rotors they'll come off as the old ones use to , removing dust cap, cotter key, nut , bearings, etc. Good luck !!

NJ

04-18-05, 05:52 AM   #3  
Thanks FordTech, It is a 2 wheel drive. I am glad I can do it myself and save some coin. The ABS was my only concern.

Doug

04-18-05, 07:03 PM   #4  
Your welcome !! Usually these only have rear ABS but even if it had 4 wheel ABS the front rotors would have a toothed ring on the inside that stays with the rotor on removal and you'd see a small sensor that sticks through through knuckle and reads off that ring ---- but even then it's still the same job.

Search this Thread