Sputter/cough during acceleration

Old 04-11-05, 08:02 PM
DoubleG
Visiting Guest
Cool Sputter/cough during acceleration

87 Nissan. 1.6 liter 2bbl carb. Automatic.
Runs good idle. Cruises down the highway ok. Problem is when I accelerate away from a stop sign/light. Car will cough and sputter unless I smash the pedal. thought maybe accelerator pump on carb but see good spray when I push down. Not sure But I don't recall it doing it up a hill. (Under a load)
Just got the car shifting right.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-05, 04:33 AM
Originally Posted by DoubleG
87 Nissan. 1.6 liter 2bbl carb. Automatic.
Runs good idle. Cruises down the highway ok. Problem is when I accelerate away from a stop sign/light. Car will cough and sputter unless I smash the pedal. thought maybe accelerator pump on carb but see good spray when I push down. Not sure But I don't recall it doing it up a hill. (Under a load)
Just got the car shifting right.
From the sounds it needs a good tune-up. I'd replace fuel filter,wires,cap,rotor, plugs. Check your vacuum lines too!! I just had a very similiar problem that turned out to just be a vacuum line that had come unhooked!! In the process of finding out what was wrong,I had replaced everything tune - up related, including the oxygen sensor. So after I replaced everything and found the vacuum hose unhooked I now have one great running truck! I'm sure mine was in need of a tune-up with almost 150,000 miles on it! Let us know what it was when you find out! Jack

Old 04-13-05, 11:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like you may have a fuel filter that is going south. My 83 Dodge pickup with a slant 6 225 engine with a 2 barrel carb has the same problem occasionally and changing the fuel filter fixes it. ANother possibility is that you have crud in your gas tank.

Old 04-16-05, 03:05 AM
DoubleG
Visiting Guest
Ok

Thanks All,
I will check out the fuel filter. Plugs wires and cap/rotor were replaced less than 10,000 ago.

Old 04-20-05, 04:30 PM
DoubleG
Visiting Guest
Turns out one plug wire had a pin hole. Go figure

Thanks again :