Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

What should I do...(Pretrip Inspection)

TX

04-12-05, 04:49 AM   #1  
What should I do...(Pretrip Inspection)

I am taking a 1600 mile round-trip with my 1998 Ford Windstar (>50,000 miles). Could you please tell me all the things I should look at and have checked before I leave. Also, this trip is to take place over 2 days - so that will be 1600 miles in 2 days (don't know if that makes a difference). Thanks for all your help.

Sponsored Links

TX

04-12-05, 05:31 AM   #2  
Check this

Check all fluids and replace oil and filter if the trip is going to make it go over the replacment mileage.Check tire pressures and tires check wiper blades and make sure you have fluid in the wiper washer.Inspect belts air filters and everything under the hood.
check all lights for proper working condition and replace burned out ones.
Clean inside and outside front windshield (nothing worse then glare from a dirty window).
Carry a small tool kit and a gallon of water just in case.
Thats all I can think of.Have fun on your road trip

Visiting Guest

04-12-05, 06:38 AM   #3  
z71offroad
Pretrip

In this day an age have a cell phone handy, if not find a used one and just hook it up for 911 service, most will dial 911 anyway regardless if you have an account with a provider. This is of course you have enough time before your trip.
Oh by the way, couldn't help but notice your pulling off 1600 ROUND TRIP, Get good rest, bring a pillow just in case.
One thing I always like to have with me on a road trip is a CB radio, yeah I know its old fashion way for some folks, but traffic going the opposite direction doesn't have your cell phone number to let you know of a speed trap ahead.

BE sure to chech your spare tire inflation, and that you have all parts to your jack just in case. (lots of people forget about that tire)
Tool Kit suggestions: knife for cutting hoses, wire--Electrical tape, at least one hose clamp, tire gauge, combo screwdriver, adjustable wrench, some pliers, GLOVES, Tire repair/inflation if you have no spare,

TX

04-12-05, 06:44 AM   #4  
good advice

Thats good advice a cell phone and CB 10-4 Good buddy.

Visiting Guest

04-12-05, 08:49 AM   #5  
z71offroad
One other thing to remember is

Bring an extra set of KEYS along

Visiting Guest

04-13-05, 02:48 PM   #6  
GlassesRx
My two cents...don't forget your AAA card! LOL

04-13-05, 03:54 PM   #7  
Visa, don't leave home without it.

Visiting Guest

04-13-05, 03:56 PM   #8  
GlassesRx
LOL good one LugNUT.....and your AMEX, for places they dont accept Visa and MC!

04-13-05, 04:08 PM   #9  
Thanks Rx. lol

Maybe we should extend this topic to "how to avoid tickets". ?

Carry a bible in the front seat, a crucifix on the rear view mirror and something to show you do charitible or professional work in the nursing or religious community.

I read a book to learn that.

P.S. I'm serious. Cops are trained to scan your car interior for signs of "whatever", good and bad. They will see whatever you put there for them to see. And if your a female, just cry your eyes out when they pull you over. I got this stuff from a book written by a cop.

TX

04-14-05, 04:30 AM   #10  
Thanks for ALL the help ideas everybody. I'm sure I'll use them all. Again thank you.

Search this Thread