AC not working in front

Old 04-12-05, 03:10 PM
Question AC not working in front

I have a Nissan quest minivan with rear AC. (2001)

The AC wasn't working from the front (I never tersted the rear before I started) and so I added some freon R134a to the low side port. I noticed the rear AC is blowing cold now but the front is still warm. I added freon up to about 42 psi and didn't go over that. Whenever the AC compressor kicks on (with a click) it brings the pressure below 25 psi and slowly builds back up until the next click. The label on the hood of this auto says the system takes 3.5 lbs of freon with the rear AC option.

I checked all fuses that said AC on them and they are all good. Under the dash and under the hood.

Should I keep adding freon? Could it be a relay?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-05, 03:57 PM
If the rear cools well, then I would look else where for the problem, like a defective blend door.

Old 04-14-05, 04:31 PM
Does anybody now how to check this duct work behind the dash?

I would imagine I have to tear the dash apart but does anybody know which side for this vehicle?

And then how do your test these doors?

Old 04-20-05, 10:19 AM
It'sfixed

I ended up putting the remainder of 19oz can of refrigerant in the vehicle and now the front is cold, not chilly or as cold as the rear, but sufficient.

Old 04-21-05, 01:41 PM
DNT1
Visiting Guest
ac

Did you find and repair the leak? It is normal for the front not to cool and the back to work if the system is low on refrigerant since the front uses a fixed orfice tube and the rear uses a TXV for refrigerant control the TXV is able to better utilize the low charge by modulating its orfice size you are probably still low on charge but I would not add any more untill the leak is found and repaired.

Old 04-22-05, 12:11 AM
Thank you for that explanation. I did not find the leak. The refrigerant I used is supposed to have a sealer in it. I don't know if these sealers work or not. However the leak is not large since it is still working a week later and this is the first time I had to add refrigerant in the 5 years I have owned the vehicle. It may of had a very small leak all along and may take another couple years to show symptons (I hope). If it does leak again this summer I'll take it in for an electronic test.

Thank you all for responding to this.