Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

92 maxima firing problems

04-15-05, 12:39 PM   #1  
92 maxima firing problems

Have a 92 ve30de motor which isn't sparking (wont light timing gun) on the 1,3,5 cyl. Lights 2,4,6(right bank) and exhaust is cold on left bank. Power transister does'nt test well but I'm confused why the left bank only would be dead. Replaced VTC on camshaft and didn't put the ground back tight on this bank. Could it have selectively blown power transister ($300). These new cars are pissing me off. Couldn't find any way to set the timing on the cams or distributor from chilton's without taking motor out of the car to take front cover plate off and then count chain links. Nissans engineering is great but working on them the pits.

Sponsored Links

04-15-05, 06:01 PM   #2  
first manually check for spark you cant just rely on a timing light to tell you that those cylinders are not getting spark a fouled sparkplug often reduces the voltage enough that timing lights dont function.

04-15-05, 07:57 PM   #3  
I normally put a plug in the wire and ground it to watch for sparking but this coil over plug set up (6 individual coils-v6) has a spring loaded contact point so its very difficult without a helper. I forgot to mention I checked the power transistor with an ohm meter as the book explains and it failed test. I have had bad luck previously testing ohm output of a temp sensor (it being out of range by a lot) only to replace it and find the new sensor also reading out of range. It could be my cheapy digital vom meter (harbor freight). So I'm gunshy about spending $200 on a new power transistor. I will put new plugs in and see if they fire but I'm not hopefull. Thanks for the tip. I did consider the fouled plug might be an issue.

Search this Thread