92 Ford Explorer Flywheel

Old 04-17-05, 04:41 AM
billhilly59
Visiting Guest
Question 92 Ford Explorer Flywheel

About a week ago, I started hearing a scraping noise when cranking the motor. I thought the starter was going so I replaced it, but that didn't help. Over the course of the week the motor developed a vibration when running. Yesterday when I tried to start it, the starter was just spinning. When I pulled the starter I noticed a spot where it looks like the flywheel was biting into the housing of it. I spun the flywheel tooth by tooth and it looked O.K. No missing teeth or bends. It looks like the entire thing moved back towards the tranny about half an inch. What would cause this? This is a rebuilt motor I had put in last year and want to know if this might be a warranty issue.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-05, 05:12 AM
I am not an expert, but I had a simular problem last year with my suburban so here is what I learned. I am on a trip away from home and my starter quits, being away from home I went to Advance and got one off the shelf, and replaced it and was on my way(this was my mistake). I noticed that when I started the car, it made a different sound that it used to, I atributted it to the
new starter. Well about 6 months later, it stopped starting the starter would just spin. I thought cheap Advance starter, I took it off and took it to the shop that I use to rebuild starters and alternators. He looked at it and told me the starter was fine, that I needed to check my fly wheel. He added further that it looked like drive gear on the starter was wearing on the fly wheel because it was shiny on the teeth. I went back and inspected the flywheel and yes it was worn and in one place it had a chunk out the size of the drive on the starter. 360.00 later I was back on the road. Lesson learned always have the factory starter rebuilt, not replaced. Hope it works out for you.
BuzzKutt

Old 04-17-05, 06:51 AM
If this is an auto trans, the flex plate may be broken around the center near the bolts. Look real close @ the flex plate with a strong light thru the starter hole, you may see cracks in it. If it's moving toward the trans, you may have to remove the trans to get a better look in there

Old 04-17-05, 09:38 AM
billhilly59
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice. The flex plate is definitely busted. This was replaced when the motor was done. Seems as though it should last longer than a year. I wonder what can cause this to happen. Any thoughts?