93 sable Erratic idle in park or neutral ok in gear

Old 04-17-05, 08:02 PM
93 sable Erratic idle in park or neutral ok in gear

Hi. I have a 93 mercury sable with a 3.0L V6 engine The problem is the idle.When in park and neutral the idle lopes up and down form 400rpm to 1200rpm. Once you put the car in gear its fine. Steady right at 800rpm The car runs fine no problems when driving. I replaced the pcv valve and changed some not to good looking vacuum hoses with on effect. so I run the codas and 8 codas came up. KOEO 335 pressure feedback EGR. (PFE) sensor or EGR. pressure transducer (EPT) signal voltage higher or lower than expected. 189 Heated exhaust gas. Oxygen (HEGO) sensor voltage signal not switching. 211 profile ignition pick-up (PIP) sensor circuit failure. 326 pressure feedback EGR. (PFE) sensor or EGR. pressure transducer (EPT) signal voltage lower than expected. 634 manual lever position (MLP) sensor signal voltage higher or lower than expected. KOER 129 manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor or mass air flow (MAF) sensor insufficient signal value change during dynamic response test. 167 throttle position (TP) sensor insufficient signal voltage change during dynamic response test. 332 insufficient EGR flow detected. Well to many codas for me I don't no where to start. HELP. One other thing I don't no if it's related or not. When I went to fill the gas tank today fuel sprayed out when I pulled the cap off.
Thanks Mike.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-05, 09:29 PM
Not sure but it might be a good idea to check the voltage at the battery at idle when you're having the problem. It should be over 12.5 volts. It sounds like the sensors aren't getting the correct voltage needed for some reason. Do you have any electrical problems at idle such as headlights being dim or power windows operating slower than normal?

Old 04-20-05, 12:03 PM
Well I checked voltage when the idle was lopping and I had 14V . I also checked at main fuse panel using engine block as ground and still had 14V. when I got home from work today I noticed the idle was fine so I went to check voltage again still had 14V but the fan kicked on and idle started to lope and quit when fan kicked off. let it cycle 5 or 6 times the same every time loped when fan was on. so I think Jeff was right I have a voltage problem. checked the battery and alternator and they both tested good. Have any ides where I should look next. THANKS MIKE

Old 04-20-05, 04:20 PM
If you have no vacuum leaks than its likely going to be a MAF SENSOR.

Old 04-20-05, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by mcope66
The problem is the idle.When in park and neutral the idle lopes up and down form 400rpm to 1200rpm. Once you put the car in gear its fine.

634 manual lever position (MLP) sensor signal voltage higher or lower than expected.
Wondering if the MLP sensor is faulty.

Check for voltage at the sensors you mentioned, at the gray/red wire. If no voltage, check fuse 5. Not sure if its the fuse in the engine compartment or the fuse under the steering wheel.

Old 04-23-05, 02:12 AM
Originally Posted by hogfan
If you have no vacuum leaks than its likely going to be a MAF SENSOR.
That's what I was thinking
I was thinking this engine may have those curved hose pieces that crack underneath (inside of the elbow) and look fine on top