Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Squeaking noise

04-18-05, 04:33 PM   #1  
Squeaking noise

98 Plymouth Breeze 2.0L 4 cyl 60K miles
When the car turns left or right, it makes a squeaking noise. I sprayed silicone oil on all chasis rubber bushings and it helped but only temporarily. It is not a metallic clunking noise. Any particular component that I can replace? Thanks.

Sponsored Links

04-19-05, 01:09 AM   #2  
Pinpoint source?

Try spaying silicone on one componant (ie; Control arm bushings, sway bar bushings etc) at a time to pinpoint the source. Since it helped temporaly before you should be able to pin point it with in a few trys. A lot cheaper than starting to just replace parts. Then you'll know exactly what to replace. Since it does it only on turns I would start with the Sway Bar Bushings.

David

04-30-05, 03:55 PM   #3  
Now I am ready to work on the bushings. Auto parts store carries a split bushing. This allows the sway bar to stay in place. Is this okay? I know how well (sarcastically) split boot works. Please give me your professional opinion. Thanks.
By the way, auto parts store does not carry regular bushings. They are dealer parts.

05-04-05, 02:22 AM   #4  
Sorry for the delay in reply.

As for the bushings; The sway bar doesn't need to come out to do any of the bushings. Is it the Outters (Control Arm) or Inners (Frame) that are noisy???

I've only used the OEM (Dealer) Bushings. I've normaly found that the outter Sway Bar bushings are the ones that wear out on MOPAR's. I haven't done them on a Breeze, done mostly Caravan's & Shadows, but I believe same design. Only have done one piece outters, don't know how split ones will hold up on the outter ones, I've never seen or used 'em. The OEM inner Sway bar Bushings (Frame Mount) are split design and they work fine. It's the Outter (Control Arm) Bushings that take most of the torque of the bar.

To replace the outters with the OEM ones you only need to unbolt the end clamps to replace, I unbolt both ends and use a pry bar to get the sway bar away from the control arm to change out the end/outter (Control Arm) bushings.

On some the Sway bar will swing down without much problem and sometimes I've had to use a jack to lift & support the contol arm and a Big pry bar on the sway bar. Depends on how much tension is on the bar and control arm and if I'm useing a drive on lift or a frame contact hoist, never done it on the ground. I've also done them by unbolting the all the mounts, that takes all the tension off the bar. Easier to replace any or all of the bushings that way, but harder to get everything lined up again and bigger chance of a bolt breaking or stripping out. Let me know how you make out, Good Luck.

David

05-04-05, 10:06 PM   #5  
Thanks for the explanation. I meant inner bushing (frame mount). I didn't know they come in split design. Thank you.

I am not sure if the noise is coming from the end link or the inner bushing. I am going to replace all. I bought the end links ($40 a piece) and am still looking for inner bushings. I heard OEM is rubber whereas after-market is polyurethane, and polyurethane is better. Or if I cannot find the right size (30 mm) polyurethane, I may put grease on the existing bushing and reuse it.

Thanks for explaining the end link replacement procedure. My shop manual does not go in such a detail. I plan to work on the car this weekend and will report back. Thanks.

Search this Thread