Ford Aspire Milage

Old 04-18-05, 05:04 PM
Ford Aspire Milage

I have a 97 ford Aspire (automatic) I am getting 400 kms per tank of gas. This is highway driving at 100 km/h. I have new plugs ,air filter,gas filter but feel that I should be getting better performance. Does anyone else have the same car with their numbers to compare. I can easily do the conversion if you want to respond with miles instead of kms.
I have made sure of correct air pressure in the tires as well.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-05, 07:08 PM
miltons
Visiting Guest
You are saying that you need to fill up just about every 125 miles, and on average you drive at a speed of 62 miles per hour. You don't say what size your fuel tank is, or how much fuel you put in after you have driven a certain distance. This would be helpful in determining your miles per gallon (or kms per gallon) which is a more widely used and more quantitative reference than miles/tank.

Old 04-18-05, 07:34 PM
Yes, you might get more helpful responses if you posted the...well I would call it Miles Per Gallon or MPG
Would you call it KmPL? I'm not sure how that works

I say this because that is the common figure to compare
It's how far on a Gallon or Liter as opposed to "how far on a tank of gas"
For example: ""My work van can go 800+ miles on a tank of gas"
Wow, sounds great...is it a hybrid?
Nope...it has a 23 gallon tank
"My work van gets 26 MPG"
Ah, that sound about right

With this figure you might get some helpful info from someone who doesn't actually drive an Aspire (there are a few Ford Techs that hang out here, they would know if your car is drinking an unreasonable amount of fuel)

Like maybe it's time for a new oxygen sensor
They degrade over time, well, use, really
They still function, but not as well, and it can be reflected in your gas mileage
If your MPGs are out of wack, and your O2 sensor has 60,000+ miles on it, you might want to replace it

Just a thought

Old 04-18-05, 10:07 PM
miltons
Visiting Guest
okay everyone

okay... i am an engineering major... and i had some free time, so i couldn't help to do some calcultations. Here it is:

according to edmunds.com:
*your car should get 31mpg or 13.104kms/L at highway speeds(around 62mph or 100kms/hr)
*your tank has a 10 gallon or 37.854L capacity
*your car puts out 63horsepower (47Kilowatts)(which isn't involved in the fuel consumption calculations but is interesting nonetheless)

so:
if you put 9 gallons of fuel in the tank each time you fill it...
according to your measurement methods you should get 446.4km/tank(you say you are getting 400), so it is not that far off and this measurement would change slightly if you were using more than 9 gallons per filling.

so i am not a mechanic, but for those of you who are or who would like to comment...

if Nifty puts 9 gallons of fuel in the tank each time he fills it up, he is getting: 27.5mpg at highway speeds

if nifty puts 9.5 gallons of fuel in per filling, he is getting 26.1mpg

if nifty always runs his tank dry and puts in a full 10 gallons per filling... he is getting 24.2mpg

according to edmunds his car should get 31mpg at highway speeds

Last edited by miltons; 04-18-05 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-29-05, 03:01 AM
DNT1
Visiting Guest
94 aspire

I bought a 94 ford aspire new, it never acheived over 35 MPG even when new and got a bit worse as it surpassed 160k. I recently gave it to a stealership in trade along with 9000 US dollars for a 2003 certified preowned Ford Taurus SES with 13k miles, the Taurus is a super sweet ride by comparison to the aspire and gets 27 mpg. I will never buy another subcompact, the inconvienences are not worth the little tad of extra fuel mileage plus the fact that a dump truck could flatten you much easier in one of those little tin boxes.

Old 08-28-06, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Nifty
I have a 97 ford Aspire (automatic) I am getting 400 kms per tank of gas. This is highway driving at 100 km/h. I have new plugs ,air filter,gas filter but feel that I should be getting better performance. Does anyone else have the same car with their numbers to compare. I can easily do the conversion if you want to respond with miles instead of kms.
I have made sure of correct air pressure in the tires as well.
I have a '97 Aspire with standard shift. I recently drove from Barrie, Ont. to Rochester, NY on (wait for it) 1/2 tank of gas. That's about 250 miles. I was there for 2.5 days driving back and forth from hotel to a soccer tournament and didn't fill it (from about 1/4 full) until the day I was driving back. So, based on my car's performance I would say that you're getting a little less milage than you should..even given that a standard should get better milage than an automatic. There are other factors though. I got slghtly poorer milage coming home because it was a windy day and the wind really makes a difference. Going down the weather was calm.