Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Question on oil changes

ME

04-19-05, 03:31 PM   #1  
Question on oil changes

I'm going to start changing my own oil. I recent newspaper supplement about car care said that when installing a new oil filter, you should only hand tighten it, don't use an oil filter wrench. I'm just confirming if this it true. I'm assuming it's legit info since they're citing Kendall Motor Oil as a source, but I wanted a second opinion. I just have visions of a hand-tightened oil filter coming loose while I'm driving down the road.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-19-05, 05:05 PM   #2  
miltons
I have been hand tightening oil filters on cars and tractors for a long time and as long as you tighten it as hard as you can without tools, I have never had a problem. This is the correct procedure.

Visiting Guest

04-19-05, 08:04 PM   #3  
stittumscrib
do this!

put fresh oil on the gasket of the new oil filter.clean the area where the filter screws on to with a rag or paper towel to remove any old oil or slug.hand tighten the filter as tight as possible and use the wrench to turn about 1/4 of a turn more.

TX

04-20-05, 01:35 AM   #4  
that is right

That is right hand tighten till it stops then 1/4 turn more no oil filter wrench or you will deform the rubber gasket.
(Tip) if you can if your filter position is straight up and down fill your filter with the new oil before you install it.
You should be able to get about 3/4 of a quart in it if it is a large filter like a PF-30.I find the oil pressure builds up much faster if I do this.
Also make sure that the old gasket is not stuck on the engine or you will leak.

Last edited by michael van; 04-20-05 at 01:36 AM. Reason: spelling

04-20-05, 02:09 AM   #5  
Apply clean engine oil to the gasket of a new oil filter.

Lightly screw the oil filter into place, and tighten it until the
gasket contacts the seat, tighten the oil filter an additional 3/4 turn.

ME

04-20-05, 12:31 PM   #6  
Ok, I've got one guy here telling me tighten it by hand, then use the wrench to tighten it an additional 1/4 turn; then I've got another guy saying tigthen the extra 1/4 turn, but DON'T use a wrench, then another guy saying to tighten it an additional 3/4 of a turn. Ok, I'm confused.

04-20-05, 12:46 PM   #7  
toyotaman is right on target. If all else fails READ THE DIRECTIONS

Look on the filter or on the box. Most everyone I have seen says or describes screwing the filter on until the gasket touches the gasket surface and then tighten 3/4 to 1 turn more.

One persons hand tight may be twice as tight as the next person. Not an accurate way to judge how tight the filter is. With some oil on your hand you may not get it tight and if it comes loose you will be sorry.

It is easy if you scratch or draw a line on the bottom of the filter as a reference to know how far to tighten it after the gasket touches.

I hope this helps un-confuse you!

04-20-05, 01:15 PM   #8  
Each oil filter has the exact tighening instructions printed on the can or the box.

The vague part of the tighening procedure is when to start counting the fractional turn. Once the filter lightly contacts the engine mating surface, without any turning pressure, that is when you start counting the turn.

Toyotaman sounds like the correct answer. 3/4 turn from first contact sounds right to me. That is what you will see on the instructions.

Some DIY'ers will hand tighen, THEN give it another strong hand twist of 1/4 turn or so. It's a bit of semantics but the results are similar.

Most important is to never use a oil wrench to tighten a filter.

04-21-05, 12:31 AM   #9  
let me clear this up

Ok, tighting a filter by hand is ok if your not a weakling. I tighten mine by hand and have been for 15 yrs. My father has tightened his by hand for 45 yrs. I would guess that when I tighten it by hand is probably the equivelent of a normal person tighteing with a wrench a quarter turn or 3/4 turn. The books will tell you tighten with a wrench because they don't want to be liable for a loose filter.

Again I tighten my filter by hand (Both hands) and make sure your hands and filter are clean so as your hands don't slip. when I take my filters off I have to use a wrench.

Try to tighten yours by hand and drive it for a few miles, pull back in your shop after it has cooled down. Change the filter, if it comes off by hand then your not getting it tight enough and you should use a wrench to go 1/4 to 3/4 depending on the thread count of the filter. Coarser threads should be 1/4 turn and finer threads should be 3/4.

04-21-05, 01:10 AM   #10  
The problem is on some vehicles you can't get a good grip on it. I've seen ones you can hardly spin it to start it never along get a firm grip by one or two hands.

The wrench is only used to turn it the reguired 3/4 of a turn after gasket contact

04-21-05, 02:00 AM   #11  
If you can't get your hands on the filter then it goes without saying. YES you will need to use a wrench. if your still not sure about 1/4 turn or 3/4 turn F it just put it on 3/4 turn and don't worry about it. When your due for another oil change you will know if that was too tight or not. if it doesn't come off then it was too tight. I've seen filters on so tight they were completly destroyed trying to remove them and then had a chisel used on them to remove them and had to remove the engine to machine the block from the gouge that was accidently made when the chisel broke through and damaged the mating surface of the filter.

ME

04-21-05, 12:49 PM   #12  
I appreciate all the input- THANK YOU!!!

Visiting Guest

04-22-05, 12:23 PM   #13  
lmm_1076
I change my oil and filter on all three of my trucks and always hand tighten the filter. Most filters require you turn it on until the gasket touches and then another 1/2 to 3/4 turns. If you cannot do it by hand then I would a wrench but no further than 3/4 turn or so. It won't fall off. If it's too tight, it will damage the gasket. Make sure you coat the new filter gasket with a light coat of oil before installation, this will also help in not damaging the gasket.

Search this Thread