1996 Ford Explorer XLT Dash Lights Prob.

Old 04-20-05, 02:58 PM
tryan
Visiting Guest
1996 Ford Explorer XLT Dash Lights Prob.

The lights on my dash board have been going out one by one over the past year or so from the left side of my dash toward the right. I think I may only have one lamp left and figured it's time to take care of the problem. The Dimmer is functioning fine. Taillights etc. functioning fine. Yup, I am one of those people who always use their headlights i.e. dash lights are on if lazy.

I saw a post on the internet of two ford explorers w/the left to right outtage of dash light (like what I am seeing) but they indicated that they had replaiced both the fuses and the bulbs with no success. Hard to believe.

How hard is to to remove the instrument pannel and replace the bulbs. Is it a DIY or a trip to the shop?

Thanks for any insight.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-05, 03:08 PM
There are alot of pieces that have to come off, but as long as you are mechanically inclined you should be able to do it with no problems. Just look all around the area and remove any bolt or screw that looks like it may need to come out. When you think you have all of the screws out give the dash a little pull and see if it comes out. If not you probably missed something. There are some clips that hold the plastic pieces in place and can be a bear to determine if it is the clip or a hidden screw sometimes. Just take your time and be careful.
Good Luck!
Hope this helps ya,
Billy