Meineke muffler life 1.8 yrs???

Old 04-21-05, 01:45 AM
Meineke muffler life 1.8 yrs???

92 Acura Integra low end model:Had whole exh sys replaced from cat to the end 04/03/01 = $374. Then again had muff & tail replace 6/14/03 = $114 Now 4/05 needs all new pipes and muffler again? Am I getting ripped off here? Seems that Boston, MA is not that bad that exh sys should last 3 - 5 years?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-05, 04:07 AM
Are you an alternate side of the street parker? Seems to me that you possiblably don't get your exaust system hot enough. If you run your car only a minute and then shut down this problem will persist. Warm the car up fully, an exaust system that never gets real hot will begin to start going south very quickly.

Old 04-21-05, 07:11 AM
15 highway miles to work daily...

With 15 miles on the highway to get to work each day I would say that it fully warms up (always traffic at one point). I was laid-off for 5 months last year but it was summer and I do not believe that i did much of the start/stop stuff you noted. This time the pipe into the muffler from the cat is letting the whole muffler rotate as though there was a bearing connecting it to the muffler. They will eval and call me on Sat but I wil take pictures of it before then and I will ask for parts back so to eval if their parts were defective. Just doesn't seem right to fall apart in under 2 years.

Old 04-21-05, 09:37 AM
Those national chan store muffler places use crap for parts, then ask for more money when you try to get them to honor the warranty. I've only had to replace an exhaust system once. Only for a small leak and I went to the dealer and ordered a new exhaust system from the dealer and bought some new rubber hangers. The car was 10 years old. I think I spend slighly more than $200 and got everything past the catalytic converter as one big piece.

Old 04-21-05, 03:48 PM
I wouldn't go back there

I do feel lucky to get more than 3 years out of exhaust parts though
I go through them pretty quick
But I've got the river on one side and the ocean on another
And salted winter roads

Old 04-22-05, 01:01 AM
Thanks, Good input from others....

I am still astonished at the garbage that we get for our money from these places... but I can see that it is not only me goes through this. I do still sense that they BANK on owners not keeping cars for over 3 years so they see the same cars over and over with new owners and get the full charge for their previous "parts replacement". Seems to be totally worth the stainless if you're going to keep it as a "lifer" vehicle. Has anyone done "stainless from the cat back" who can report success "long term" (like 5 - 7 years with salt)?

Old 04-22-05, 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by racket7
Seems to be totally worth the stainless if you're going to keep it as a "lifer" vehicle. Has anyone done "stainless from the cat back" who can report success "long term" (like 5 - 7 years with salt)?
It sure does
At least around here
I have done aluminized when available
They do seem to last longer
Stainless is not available for my daily drivers
Though I am getting stainless for a resto project I'm working on
Headers to tailpipe

The exhaust is expensive enough as it is, and extra 20% for stainless is fine if I don't have to replace it in 3 years because of rust

I've been DIYing exhaust for years now
I got sick of the $300 it cost to walk into (or back into) some of those places
"But the muffler has a lifetime warrantee"
"Ah yes, the muffler is free....but labor, this $38 gasket, this $78 hanger, this $137...this $137...tube that looks like part of the muffler, well I don't know what it is called, but it's not part of the muffler...and it's $137"
(True Story)

Old 04-22-05, 02:47 AM
I expect my one big piece that I bought at the dealer to last 10 years just like the original did.

Old 04-25-05, 08:19 AM
$82 for pipes & labor

Maybe I should not have gone back.... but I did. I kept the old Arvin muffler and went to Auto Zone who said that they supply these to Meineke at around $63 each. They also said that they have never had a "customer return" on an individual sale. It looks like they (mfg) just curl and pinch the muffler face to the input pipe. Mine just came un-done??!! I will take digital pics (because it is cheap) of the poor quality and email Arvin directly just to see the response. I agree that a "full system" from dealer is the way to go. I am certain that I would have your success if I did. I believe that the 92 integra came out with SS front to back that lasted 10 years. The SS replacement (even if just cat to back) wouldn't be very reasonable $$ I sense. I will make an inquiry to the acura dealer just for the heck of it.... when time allows. It's on my list. I wonder if this car runs much hotter than most and therefore gets more abuse.... and may be the reason for all SS in the orig design?