Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

(Suggestion) Buying a Scan Tool (Help Question)

04-21-05, 03:09 AM   #1  
(Suggestion) Buying a Scan Tool (Help Question)

We have a Vo-Tech or Trade school that is looking to buy a New scan tool. Last one was STOLEN! What type would you buy? I know about NGS and WDS that FORD uses but they need one that will do any make. They do want one that will read pids and etc.

Sponsored Links

04-22-05, 01:34 PM   #2  
I'm not really sure what you are looking for. My experience with the NGS is with programing keys. If this is what you are interested in, try the SDD. It is a good all-around machine, but it is expensive, and the funds may not be available. Just thought I'd offer that info.

cuedude

VA

04-22-05, 03:01 PM   #3  
I'm not an auto expert, but do you know

the years and models of the cars that the school is most interested in working on? This will probably help narrow the search. Will the school be working on Airbag systems? ABS braking systems? Transmissions? Some of the test routines and procedures for this stuff are very much auto maker dependant.

If the school already owns a laptop, I've heard about adapter cables/boxes and software that can perform a lot of the functions of a scan tool. I think it may be less expensive than a dedicated scan tool as well. This might be an option to look at....maybe a dedicated scan tool for specialized testing and the laptop for general "check engine" light work?

Just trying to give you some ideas!

04-23-05, 12:23 AM   #4  
They don't see anything for a least 3 years because of the factory warranty. So I would say 2002 year model and back. Yes, we know about laptops, and pocket pc's but don't know if they will be versatile enough. With the CAN networks and such. Just thought some of you mite give us some in-site on a good scan tool. cuedude what is SDD?

VA

04-25-05, 01:12 AM   #5  
Fwiw...

...knowing students like i do, i wouldn't go the palm or lap top route either. scan tools are made to take much more abuse. personally, as an instructor and user of many different scanners, i think the OTC genysis is at the top of the heap as far as generic scan tools go. it's made my SPX...which makes many of the dedicated scan tools out there for OE. it also comes with lots of software available for peripheral systems like ABS, Airbags, transmissions, climate control...and so on. it's also modular, so you can start with the basic set up and build on it...even adding a labscope and 5 gas analyzer if so desired. it can be bought from mac tools (mac mentor) or from cornwell tools (tech force)...and they offer discounts to schools. there are good deals out there for schools...you just have to contact the vendors to get the stuff demoed and see what you like and what it's going to cost...

04-25-05, 12:27 PM   #6  
Thank You carguyinva, I will have them look into that tester.

04-25-05, 12:58 PM   #7  
I have used the OTC Genysis also and think its better than a snap on scan tool.The only thing I don't like about it is it needs charged up and is not powered by the obd2 connector.You can update it online which is also a good point in its favor.

04-26-05, 12:13 AM   #8  
SDD Scan tool

Sorry I didn't check back sooner. An SDD is a tool made by ILCO. (Independant Lock Co.) The reason I mentioned it is because it does many different makes of cars. ie: ford, chrysler, gm, mitsu*****i, honda, lexus, nissan, and many more. It is an all around machine. But remember, it is used for Key Programing, and runs right at $5000.00 Now you know why them keys are so costly.

cuedude

VA

04-26-05, 12:16 AM   #9  
there may be...

...updated circuitry in the newer ones. the one i have will run off of the DLC even when the battery is dead and will charge from it...at least it did a couple weeks ago when i was doing some ABS diagnostics on a 2000 silverado. to echo davo's comments...it flat blows away either of the snap on scan tools...sorry snap on and balco

04-26-05, 12:26 PM   #10  
carguyinva if they have corrected that small inconvenience they have a very good product on there hands.I understand that some older cars it needed to be powered by a means other than the dlc but I felt a battery or cigar lighter would have been better than making it rechargable.If I were to buy a scan tool it would be the one as I would be able to do sps programming with it.Working at a GM dealer that is somewhat important.The display on the OTC is awesome and the controls are very user friendly.I don't know if they still do but Matco Tools used to sell the OTC also.The other options available for it make it very applicable to any use needed.The lab scope I find very appealling for finding the problems that are kinda hidden from regular means of diagnosis.Live waveform testing is the best thing going for the problem cars.Oh and I can read the screen without glasses because its big enough for older people.Lol.

04-26-05, 04:42 PM   #11  
Thanks, for the info I will give it to the instructor. Thanks again, hogfan.

VA

04-27-05, 12:03 AM   #12  
yup...

...the display is excellent. You are also correct about non OBD II cars...no power at the DLC. Mine does have a 12 volt adapter for the cig lighter, so like the vetronix Mastertech, if the battery is dead, you should be able to connect it to the vehicle battery in some way, either the cig lighter or direct.

Search this Thread