Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

97 chevy 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive 305

Visiting Guest

04-21-05, 02:18 PM   #1  
DNT1
97 chevy 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive 305

Ok guys I have a 97 chevy 1500 auto 2 wheel drive 305v8 with only 262k Over the last two year period I have put three distributor caps and rotor buttons on this truck it is now missing again, the last one was installed about about four months ago approx 15k) at which time I installed all new wires/spark plugs/new coil and a new pickup for inside the distributor everything I could think of that had anything to do with the firing. Now I have not pulled this latest cap off but the engine miss is identical and the other ones all showed carbon tracking on the inside and the darn thing ran great for 15 to 20k each time before the problem reappeared. History here about 120k ago the engine developed the infamous intake coolant leak and was repaired, the intake was leaking so badly that it was fouling out one of the plugs (the second one from the front on drivers side) after that problem was repaired is when this distributor cap problem started. I am pulling my hair out, what is going on that could be causing this problem? I have pulled the plug out on the suspect cylinder and it is clean no sign of fouling and have had NO loss of coolant. I am thinking that maybe at some point I lost the seal for the distributor cap to the distributor is their supposed to be a rubber seal there? I have none could that be allowing moisture inside the cap causing my problem? It only takes a few minutes to change the cap so it is not a deal breaker and maybe the silly things only last 15 to 20k??? I guess i am a bit upset because I thought sure I had cured it with all the new parts What is the real world experience out there? Note: the miss is only noticeable at slower speeds when gently accelerating you can just feel that sickening little jump every so often not a solid miss.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

04-22-05, 01:15 AM   #2  
Just a thought, but have you checked to see if there are any check engine codes stored?

Coincidentally, we had trouble with my wrecker last weekend ('94 w/350 Chevy engine). We were convinced it was ignition - would miss pretty heavily every couple of minutes and after a while it would die and not restart until it cooled for a while. Figured the ignition module or coil was on the way out and toyed with it for a couple of hours before we checked for codes (DUH!) and got a code for a coolant sensor. About a five minute fix @ $22; I was amazed.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

Search this Thread