Rear Rotor Stuck ??

Old 04-21-05, 03:03 PM
Mike71
Visiting Guest
Rear Rotor Stuck ??

Changing the rear rotors on the wifes 03 expedition. I have the brake caliper off and the emergency brake off. The thing won't come off. I beat it with a hammer too. The hub is only moving about 1/4" so does that mean the e-brake needs to be loosened under the truck?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-05, 03:20 PM
I'm not a mechanic,

but a couple of ideas: 1) look closely at the rotor near the wheel studs. Do you see any clips or hardware that hold the rotor on? Are there any screws (usually phillips)? They may be hard to see, because they'll be rust colored and blend in with the rotors.

2) Is this a combination rotor/drum setup? Probably not, given this is a 2003, but my only other idea. Does the emergency brake connect to the caliper? Maybe you need to retract the drums from the back using the adjuster. Look for a large oval rubber plug in the backside hub, at the bottom, in the middle. They make a special tool for this, but you can use a large screwdriver as well....will be really aggrevating though. I don't remember which way to turn either, so you may need to try both.

Just trying to help, I'm sure that someone with more of a clue than me will help you out.

Old 04-21-05, 03:47 PM
Mike71
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. No srews or clips holding it on. I think it is rusted on. And its not a combination drum/disc setup.

I think I need to beat it harder with my hammer.

Old 04-21-05, 03:54 PM
Soak it with PB Blaster
Try a bigger hammer

If there is a trick to Expeditons specifically I'm sure some one will pipe in

Old 04-21-05, 04:01 PM
Mike71
Visiting Guest
yeah, I think my problem is my hammer isn't big enough. What is PB Blaster??? A sledge hammer should do the trick. Too late here now so I don't want to wake the neighbors up.

Old 04-21-05, 04:11 PM
PB Blaster...Liquid Wrench...
WD-40 type sprays, but with more emphasis on the "loosens rusted bolts" part

Maybe a "gear puller" would help if the hub pokes through the rotor in the middle

Old 04-21-05, 04:18 PM
Had the same problem before with a rusted on rotor....had to beat it with a hammer while turning the rotor, because a backing plate was in the way, to be able to strike it along different parts of the rotor. Striking just one place on the rotor didn't work. You'll probably need to strike different places on the rotor if you haven't tried that already. Hopefully you don't have any obstructions in the way like a backing plate. Good luck!

Old 04-21-05, 04:31 PM
Mike71
Visiting Guest
yes, there is a backing plate. The thing I don't understand is when I did the fronts I could turn the rotor all the way around. ON the backs they are not spinning. I have the emergency brake off too.

Old 04-21-05, 05:07 PM
Transmission is in neutral? Can't think of anything else unless it has something to do with 4WD.

Old 04-22-05, 09:30 AM
Mike71
Visiting Guest
It was just stuck due to rust. I sprayed some type of rust penatrent spray and it took 3 solid whacks from a sledge hammer. Once the rotor was on the floor, I beat it some more to make myself feel better.

Old 04-22-05, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Mike71
Once the rotor was on the floor, I beat it some more to make myself feel better.
A very important part of the rotor removal procedure, unfortunatly left out of most manuals