Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Brake job in my future

PA

04-22-05, 07:34 AM   #1  
Brake job in my future

Last summer I put ceramic pads on my vehcile. This vehicle never had the front rotors replaced but had two other sets of pads on it since it was brand new. The mileage is currently at 55k.

About 4 months ago I started getting a vibration coming out of the front only when braking down a steep hill. I believe it feels like my rotors are warped. I only feel it in the pedal but you can hear it too.
I bought new rotors (I didn't want to take a chance on cutting the old ones for fear they would warp sooner) but should I change the "so called ceramic" pads as well? I am calling them 'so called' because I bought them on Ebay as ceramic pads but the box they came in did not say Ceramic on them.

And if your recommendation is to change the front pads, (even if they have over 50% life on them) does anybody have preferences if I go back to the semi metallic ones? Autozone has Duralast, Advance Auto has Wearever, Pepboys = Raybestos. Bendix is always an option but an expensive one.

Sponsored Links

04-22-05, 08:36 AM   #2  
How bad is the vibration and how often do you brake hard while going downhill?

A visual inspection of the pads should tell you if they are OK to reuse, if they weren't scored, why not reuse?

PA

04-22-05, 11:46 AM   #3  
The vibration is more of a hum feeling and is not pulsating like the ABS kicking on.

From way back I remember being told that when you change your rotors you should change your pads. I hate to change these ones out if they don't look to bad. On the other hand, if the 'ceramic' pads are what warped my original rotors, I don't want to keep them on the van.

I'll be doing these tomorrow so I'll have a look at them then.

04-23-05, 02:17 AM   #4  
By the book, if you change rotors you should change pads
You might want to post what you find when you pull them apart though
You know what they say about rules...

04-23-05, 03:54 AM   #5  
Pads from E-bay in no name box????

I would want to know what Iím installing especially brake pads, some times you only get what you pay for and skimping on brake pads is penny wise and dollar foolish.

Let me put it in a hypothetical way, Those e-bay pads will stop you in 200 ft at 60 mph.

A better brand premium pads stops in 190 ft at 60 mph.

Situation: Your driving down the road at 60 mph and there is something, a vehicle, a person, animal etc in the road and you have 195 ft to stop.

PA

04-24-05, 11:12 AM   #6  
The end result

Well, I took off the front wheels yesterday and I was surprised. The brake pads that I put on last June (10,000 miles ago) were completely worn down. For supposedly ceramic pads, they sure didn't last that long. I got at least 20k from semi metallic pads I had on this vehicle earlier. (The pads from Ebay had a name on the box, just not one that I recognized nor did they say 'Ceramic' as advertised). The pads I replaced left alot of dust on my front wheels, which I heard real ceramic pads do not.

So my question is moot. I went out and bought a GOLD pair of Wearever pads (to go with the Wearever rotors I bought a few days before) and changed them both. I sure do like those floating rotors, no greasy mess.

04-25-05, 03:53 AM   #7  
On My car I buy the realtively cheap Pro Stop brake pads from Pep Boys. I think they were less than $20 and they last as long as the OEM pads (70,000 miles) and brake just the same. I would expect something like those green stuff brake pads to only last 10,000-20,000 miles.

Search this Thread