Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

acura/honda coolant?

04-23-05, 04:59 AM   #1  
acura/honda coolant?

In Jan. my wife bought a í95 Acura Integra.

This week at two day intervals, I replaced a leaking radiator that did not respond to two bottles of Barís Leak. Two days later, I replaced a cap that would not suck coolant from the overflow bottle. The hoses collapsed with partial vacuum when the system cooled. This was probably from the 50% solution of Barís Leak. Finally the upper radiator hose sprung a leak.

I used the coolant I had on hand. The ownerís manual said to use only Honda coolant. Surely there is an equivalent. The books gives no spec or standard and only says go to the dealer and pay whatever they want.

I just got rid of an í84 VW Vanagon that was specific about using coolant without phosphates. Per the vdub community, the phosphates would quickly destroy the heads. Is a similar process at work here?

What other coolant can I use without harming the car.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

WV

04-23-05, 09:37 AM   #2  
Nothing special about the coolant in that vehicle. Just regular Ethylene glycol coolant. The green stuff!!! The bars leak was your first mistake. That stuff will cause more problems that it will fix. Best bet when you have a coolant leak is to pressure test and find the source of the leak and repair it. That stuff clogs heater cores and settles in the bottom of the engines coolant passages restricting proper flow. One of the worse nightmares of a mechanic.
Now that you have used it expect more problems especially once the weather turns cold again. Best bet is to flush (and back flush) the coolant system to get that mess out before you drive it and get it worked in and hardened.
Good Luck,
Billy

04-24-05, 05:21 PM   #3  
Posted By: billys68ss The bars leak ..... That stuff will cause more problems that it will fix.
Does your comment apply to all stop-leak stuffs or just Bars Leak? I put some gold color powder stuff (forgot brand) in the radiator a few days ago. Do you recommend that I flush this stuff out? Thanks.

VA

04-25-05, 12:28 AM   #4  
there are no...

..."fix in a can" solutions to normal wear and tear on modern autos. billy's right about leak stop products...more trouble than they are worth. don't know if you can flush them out now that they are in there...but i definately agree with heater core issues, that's the thing i've seen most. cooler weather will tell the tale...

04-25-05, 08:07 AM   #5  
thanks

The original radiator was leaking on the top where the aluminum core is crimped to the plastic tank. Most of the bar's leak left when I drained the sytem and replaced the radiator. More probably left when the upper hose blew four days later. At this time the heater core is flowing.

I won't use it in the future.

WV

04-25-05, 03:14 PM   #6  
Puter.... Yes I was referring to ALL stop leak products. Carguy said it... The "fix in a can" crap aint worth the time.

For the leaking radiator problem when those plastic tanks start to leak theres really nothing that can be done. Best bet is to replace it. ( I see that you did do that)
Good Luck,
Billy

04-29-05, 04:50 PM   #7  
Thanks for timely warning. I will flush it out.

Search this Thread