Wet ignition? but where???

Old 04-23-05, 05:29 AM
Question Wet ignition? but where???

Problems with the old junker again!! Ok, I have a 1987 Dodge D-50 4 wheel drive truck with the 2.6 Mitsubishi motor in it. Ok, on rainy or wet days my truck initially starts very hard! I have to gas it and mess around for 10 mins. just to get it running. After it is started and has been running for a while it tends to be ok and runs great! Truck ran great when I parked it last night and I hadn't drove it at all. It did rain last night though. I replaced the :wires,cap, and rotor about 2 months ago. I took off the cap this morning and everything looked ok?? ANy one got any ideas at all??????? Thanks in advance, Jack

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-05, 06:22 AM
ASEPartsman
Visiting Guest
Sometimes condensation underneath the distributer cap is hard to see because it can be so little. Next time this happens try spraying WD-40 underneath the cap. This will displace any water under there and help you start easier if this is indeed the problem.

Old 04-23-05, 09:43 AM
When you replaced the distributor cap did you notice if there was a gasket between the cap and the body of the distributor? If so was it in good condition? If the gasket is cracked or missing pieces or just plain missing then that is how the moisture is getting in there and causing your problems. Although this may not be your problem at all. You may have something else going on.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 04-23-05, 12:57 PM
wet ignition?

Originally Posted by billys68ss
When you replaced the distributor cap did you notice if there was a gasket between the cap and the body of the distributor? If so was it in good condition? If the gasket is cracked or missing pieces or just plain missing then that is how the moisture is getting in there and causing your problems. Although this may not be your problem at all. You may have something else going on.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy
Thanks Billy, I didn't notice if their was a gasket or not and never knew their was such a thing! I guess I'll have to look in to it somehow? Or go to the auto parts place and see if it comes with a gasket! Thanks!! Jack

Old 04-23-05, 02:20 PM
Master101
Visiting Guest
Get someone to look at the engine while your cranking the engine. Pay particular attention to Distributor and coil and Spark Plug wire. You might see some spark or arc while the engine is being cranked. Could be your new spark plug wire are bad even though they are new.

Search this Thread