Charging Winch Battery!

Old 04-24-05, 02:38 PM
ixnay
Visiting Guest
Charging Winch Battery!

A friend of mine has a Ford F-250 in which he uses to haul Tractor Equipment on a 30ft. gooseneck trailer. Recently he bought a 15,000lb Warn Winch and a battery to power the winch. Both the winch and battery are mounted to the gooseneck trailer!

We are currently looking into the best way to wire up from the truck battery to the trailer battery in order to keep it charged! the truck already has a 4 prong and a 6 prong trailer plugs under the bumper where we recently wired up running boards lights to the 4 prong trailer plug.

I was instructed to get a circuit breaker and mount it to the truck battery then run a wire from the Circuit breaker to a switch then from the switch to a plug. Then i was told to run a wire from the + terminal of the trailer battery to another plug in which the 2 plugs (The one from the truck and the one from the trailer) could connect and the switch could be used to turn off the connection between the 2 while the truck is not running so the batterys would not run down.

How would you guys recommend doing this? We do not know much about wiring, so if you could please explain in detail on how to do this and even a drawing diagram would be great.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-05, 04:02 PM
I'm not an expert by any means,

but my idea would be to use a circuit breaker and a battery isolator like this one: http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/html/isolators.htm They even have a simple diagram. The isolator elimantes the need for a switch-or forgetting to turn it off and draining the battery, damaging the wiring, or tripping the breaker because the winch tried to pull juice from both batteries at the same time.

From your main battery, connect the isolator, then the circuit breaker. You could also use a fuse, but I like the idea of a breaker because you don't need to carry spare fuses.

I'm not sure how large a wire you need to run, it depends on the distance from the front to back and how fast you want to charge the battery. (How much current) I would consider somewhere between 20-50 amps. Also, use a two-position (wire) plug rated to handle the current. One side will be positive (main battery), the other side negative (ground). You'll need a solid ground connection using wire at least as large as your positive wire. Make sure to securely connect the ground to clean, bare metal on the truck (frame maybe?). For the trailer side, you can run the ground (or negative) to the battery or just connect to clean bare metal also. (I'm assuming that the battery's negative is connected to metal for the trailer.) I don't think trying to flow 20-50 amps through the gooseneck or the smaller wiring for the lights is a good idea! Remember that your negative wire has to flow as much current as your positive side is- the power has to get back to the main battery's negative terminal.

If you have an RV parts store or a larger boating/marina store near you, I'd go in and talk with them. A 4 wheel drive store may also have a pretty good parts selection. They should be famaliar with dual battery setups and may have a lot of the parts you need. A trolling motor plug/connector may be useful, just an idea foir a connector, keep your eyes open!

Trying to help!

Old 04-24-05, 05:22 PM
ixnay
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply! Checking out the link right now!

Search this Thread