Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Transmission fluid leak

04-25-05, 06:52 PM   #1  
Transmission fluid leak

My trans appears to have developed a leak. It seems to be coming from the speed sensor area. So I removed the sensor and replaced the o-ring. After this the leak stopped for a while. However, it returned while I was driving down the freeway at speed. I felt a momentary loss of power (I guess it must have burst open with some force causing the line pressure to drop). When I looked afterwards there was not really that much fluid but it seemed to have come from the same area and splattered around quite a bit. It has been leaking since. I removed it again to investigate and cannot really see anything wrong. After I re-installed it it seems to still be leaking but a little less.

As far as I know the bolt has been torqued correctly. Is there anything that I could have missed that could be causing this.

Sponsored Links

VA

04-26-05, 12:25 AM   #2  
vehicle info...

...please list the make, model and year.

as for line pressure at the speed sensor...nah. leaks at the speed sensor area are drip, drip, drip type leaks. if you have a leak under pressure, it's coming from somewhere else. you may need to have it dye tested, it's definitive. post the info above and maybe there is a TSB...

04-26-05, 07:58 AM   #3  
Chevrolet Metro 2000 - trans is Suzuki MX17 3 spd transaxle. I agree about the leak not being under pressure. However, since the trans gears are lubed by the secondary pressure reg in the valve body I concluded that the seal suddently opening could have possibly caused a line pressure drop.

I recently rebuilt this trans and did not see any other areas that were of concern.

04-26-05, 06:11 PM   #4  
I now have doubts about the speed sensor being the cause. I drove aournd with some tissue wrapped around the sensor and it remained dry although the a small amount of fluid still appears - so I guess it is coming from somewhere else. The other possibility is one of the oil cooler lines which is also in that area.

Thanks for the dye suggestion - I will purchase a kit and run a test to confirm the source.

05-07-05, 02:01 AM   #5  
OK so I eventually found the problem - the vent pipe located near the oil cooler line had rotated on its axis and was pointing downwards instead of upwards causing a small leak. I did not even realize the vent pipe could simply be pulled out. I purchased the dye and a UV light/goggles but did not have to use it.

Thanks again for the help.

Search this Thread