Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to seal valve covers?

04-27-05, 10:14 AM   #1  
How to seal valve covers?

What is the best way to seal valve covers?

The last job was a single head 4-cyl car. The book said to use sealant AND the gasket. The Fel-Pro gasket box said to install it dry, so I did and it is leaking now 2 months later. I used the specified torque and cleaned the surfaces well. The gasket was about $20, so I had faith in it.

In the past, I used a red Permatex product that came in a can with a brush on the lid. I would paint the head and cover and both sides of the gasket. Typically, this plan worked well.

What should I do? My next project is a 94 Taurus w/ 3.0l v-6.

Sponsored Links

04-28-05, 05:00 AM   #2  
I always put gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket. I understand that this is a nonstandard practice, as it essentially glues on the valve cover. However, I don't get any leaks.

If I could get a rubber gasket, I'd give it a shot with no gasket sealer, but since cork is only available for my car, I have to use the sealer.

04-28-05, 12:33 PM   #3  
Posted By: Icondude I always put gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket. I understand that this is a nonstandard practice, as it essentially glues on the valve cover. However, I don't get any leaks.

If I could get a rubber gasket, I'd give it a shot with no gasket sealer, but since cork is only available for my car, I have to use the sealer.
I agree
Unless it's rubber, I'd go back to Permatexing both sides

MI

04-29-05, 06:42 AM   #4  
Sometimes the valve cover sealing surface gets warped from overtightening. Any reseal job should include an inspection of this surface with a straight edge and hammer back any bulges.

Visiting Guest

04-29-05, 10:29 AM   #5  
Comptech
That 94 Taurus is going to have silicone "rubber" gaskets in it so put them in dry. It also has composite valve covers so do as the post above says and check them with a straight edge. Although with these covers there is no hammering them back, replacement only. Also double check the leak source, the intake end gaskets leak on these often.

05-09-05, 10:02 AM   #6  
Comptech: Intake Ends?

Comptech:

Do you mean the intake manifold gaket may also be leaking oil?

or

Is there some joint btwn the head and intake that is bridged by the valve cover that requires some special attention?

What is the best way to pinpoint the leak source?

Search this Thread