1994 Chevy Silverado

Old 04-27-05, 05:45 PM
Greatwhite777
Visiting Guest
1994 Chevy Silverado

I am having a problem with my 1994 Chevy Silverado, it has the 5.7 L 350 and it is an automatic. While driving its like all of the electrical dies, my radio shuts off all my gages drop and then everything comes back on. when it happens during acceleration the truck bogs out and then comes back to life when the electrical does. any ideas on what could be causing this problem? Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-05, 06:10 PM
miltons
Visiting Guest
Possible solution

Clean corrosion off of battery cables, especially if they are front mount and not top mount. I recently had a similar problem with a Blazer.

Old 04-27-05, 06:47 PM
Greatwhite777
Visiting Guest
They are side mounted posts not top mount, and ill give that a try tomarrow, thanks for the idea. Anything else it could possibly be?

Old 04-29-05, 11:00 AM
Comptech
Visiting Guest
Time for a new ignition switch. Not the key lock cylinder but the elctrical part. The switch is getting hot from the load and opening the ign1 terminal. Pull the switch and you will see the burn mark.

Old 04-30-05, 08:45 AM
YOu're losing either the power or ground. Would take doing some voltage drop tests. Are you familiar with how this is done?

Old 04-30-05, 11:45 AM
Greatwhite777
Visiting Guest
No im not, havent done voltage tests. However im going to check my ignition switch as Comp suggested tomarrow or this evening. any insite on how to replace/remove the ignition switch?

Old 05-01-05, 12:01 PM
I advocate doing some checks before replacing parts as it is more cost and time effective.

Old 05-07-05, 05:08 AM
Comptech
Visiting Guest
On that truck the ignition switch is on top of the steering column about midway between dash and firewall, turn the key on and wiggle the harness going to the switch and see if the problem happens. Do not confuse it with the dimmer switch that you can see on the left side of the column.

Old 02-18-07, 12:13 PM
Had same prob on 95, check alternator for proper amp out put should be 105