95 chevy caprice

Old 04-27-05, 08:46 PM
roybenz
Visiting Guest
Question 95 chevy caprice

My '95 chevy caprice has the police package with the small block V8, not the 5.7 litre LT1 motor). I believe it is the 4.8 litre V8 and I have had to replace the distributor and water pump 3 times in the last year because the water pump fails and leakes on the distributor. The first two times I was told the distributor was coroded internally and the last time it was cororded on the outside. Does anyone have a clue as to why this keeps happening? It seems to be a lot.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-05, 11:45 AM
The engine you have is a 4.3L, 265ci V8. Did you have the parts replaced using GM parts, or aftermarket parts?

Old 04-29-05, 10:57 AM
Comptech
Visiting Guest
Sound to me like it is a LT1 350, never seen any other chevy engine with a distributor under the waterpump. Now to the problem, first use a ac delco NEW waterpump, second make sure that there is a vent tube running from the dist cap to the trhottle intake hose, 95 should of had it,but if someone used a cap from a earlier model it would not be there.This was a problem with the early LT1's not having a vent system and TSB's were issued on it.Even without a waterpump leak these early dist's had problems. A cheap aftermarket dist. may not have this vent system.

Old 04-29-05, 03:19 PM
I would suspect they installed after market parts here. I have never had any comebacks on any of the LT1's or 4.3 V8's I have done, but I have seen my share of failed after market water pumps, distributor caps and plug wires on these. As for the engine, if its not a 350, it is a 4.3V8. They put these in the Caprice with TPI and they use the opti-spark setup like the LT1.

Old 04-30-05, 08:40 AM
Mr. Dummas is all over this one.

Search this Thread