Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mustang

Visiting Guest

04-28-05, 04:43 AM   #1  
royalet
Mustang

Havent been hjere in a minute, well heres the deal, I have a 1994 mustang gt 5.0. 5 spd, just purchased the car and it has this annoying squeak or rubbing sound (metal up against metal or something) when you pull off, after a while you dont hear it anymore, I was thinking the exhaust pipes or something, even when the car is parked if you push the car you can here it, its not a shock sound, what do you think? and if so any suggestions on getting this fixed.

Last edited by royalet; 04-28-05 at 05:02 AM.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-28-05, 05:06 AM   #2  
tarponslayer
give more detail ie squeak all the time, over bumps etc... Any mods on the car? First guess may be bushings? Where is the squeak located?

Visiting Guest

04-28-05, 05:42 AM   #3  
royalet
I am not too sure havent had the time to mess with it, the car is lowered, you can here it over the bumps for like the first 2-3 mins of driving then you dont hear it anymore, mailny when pulling off when its been sitting for a while, or you can just fall down into the seat while its parked and you hear he sound, its like a metal sound or something rubbing

Visiting Guest

04-28-05, 05:56 AM   #4  
tarponslayer
If its lowered the previous owner my have used poly urethane bushings in the control arms or the anti roll bar. These are usually blue or red or yellow in color. Anywhere you see a pivot point in the suspension could have urethane intstead of the factory black rubber. It could cause a sqeak. Try spraying them with a rubber save lubricant. Have you gotten under the car and shaken the exhaust system? Maybe a hander broke? Also check where the tail pipe routes over the rear axle. Sometimes they can pivot and touch the frame. You may have a bad strut or rear shock too. Try pushing on the corners of the car and listen for the same sound. The car should not bounce it should just sag and return to normal with a slight bounce (once) if it bounces a bit you have a bad shock/strut. Spray the spring seats in the control arms with lube while you are at it.

Visiting Guest

04-28-05, 09:27 AM   #5  
royalet
Thanks, appreciate it

04-28-05, 12:47 PM   #6  
Posted By: tarponslayer If its lowered the previous owner my have used poly urethane bushings in the control arms or the anti roll bar...
...Also check where the tail pipe routes over the rear axle. Sometimes they can pivot and touch the frame.
I'm sure it has poly bushings and after market exhaust
Those exhausts do tend to contact over the axle

tarponslayer you seem to know your foxes
I'll just add a "ditto what he said"

Search this Thread