Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How To Adjust Ignition Timing?

Visiting Guest

04-29-05, 02:07 PM   #1  
Canada_Comp
How To Adjust Ignition Timing?

Hello Everyone.

My sister's car is a "1991 Subaru Loyale" Wagon FWD Automatic Transmission with a "1.8 L Horizontally opposed 4-Cylinder F/injected"

My question is, how do you adjust the ignition timing on this? It is a Cap/rotor (distributor, not distributor less) type ignition, but the problem is that I cannot find a timing mark on the crankshaft pulley (damper) nor a timing indicator (the little metal tab that sticks out and tells your ignition angle) how do you adjust the timing on these type of engines?

Thx in advance.
Dave

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

04-30-05, 03:32 AM   #2  
From www.autozone.com:

On 1.6L and 1.8L engines except XT models, the ignition timing marks are located on the edge of the flywheel, at the rear of the engine. The marks mounted on the flywheel are visible through a port in the flywheel housing located just behind the oil dipstick tube. A plastic cover protects the port through which the flywheel-mounted marks are visible.

The ignition timing marks on XT models (1.8L and 2.7L engines), are located on the right front side of the engine, near the crankshaft pulley.

TIMING SPECIFICATION 20 DEGREES
BEFORE TOP DEAD CENTER
*SET AT WARM IDLE SPEED (700 RPM)
*DISTRIBUTOR VACUUM HOSE DISCONNECTED & PLUGGED
*WITH GREEN TEST MODE TERMINALS CONNECTED

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

Search this Thread