1990 Silverado problem

Old 04-30-05, 05:17 AM
seiunshun
Visiting Guest
1990 Silverado problem

Okay. I've taken this truck to several different shops, including one GM dealership, and I still keep having the original problem. Most recently I took it out to the GM dealership that did 600 worth of work yet still didn't find the original problem. I believe they may rely too heavily in their detection devices. What happens is that when you say go to pass someone and have to hit the gas pretty good, drives clean around the other car. The next time you come to a stop light when you get stop it will start missing out. You can shut it down for a few seconds afterwards and it'll be running just fine. Also somewhat related, a couple months after we first got the truck my cousin changed out the spark plugs and found only one fouled out. Before I took it to the dealership it wouldn't run at all, so I checked and cleaned this one spark plug and got it to run to drive it out there. This plug was oil fouled and is the second from the back on the driver's side. It's a 305 engine. Someone please help?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-05, 08:13 AM
So you're getting on it good, say force downshifting into second, has plenty of power,make the pass, then let up and come to a stop and it idles like it's skipping. Is that what you're saying?
I'd say it could be one of two things, if only I can keep my cat from jumping in front of me and walking all over the keyboard.
There's a valve hanging up and not closing for one reason or another, could be build up of tarnish on a valve stem, or the valve is adjusted too tight.
The other possability is the egr valve is sticking open.

Old 04-30-05, 10:02 AM
seiunshun
Visiting Guest
Being the mechanical illiterate person that I am, is this something the local mechanic would understand and be able to take care of without putting too large a dent into my wallet?

Old 05-01-05, 12:12 PM
I would say anyone would have difficulty pinning either of the two choices I indicated, especially the sticky valves. I know that doesn't help much, but I'd say that what you're looking to get diagnosed, the condition you described, would be on the more difficult end of the scale to figure out. Especially if it doesn't do it all the time. On that note, plan to dig deep into your pockets. Go to a chevy dealer and tell them you need to go for a road test with their best guy, their best diagnostician, and then go and make it do it. Have the car fail while you and the tech are in the car, and say That's what I want fixed! That's the best way to get stuff fixed. YOu need to point to it and say THERE! Demonstrating the problem to the repair guy while you're both there is key.

Old 05-01-05, 05:32 PM
seiunshun
Visiting Guest
Thank you very much!