1986 Firebird

Old 05-01-05, 12:00 AM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1986 Firebird

I have a 1986 Firebird with a 3.5l V-8,auto,carburetor, 2dr hatchback coupe. I just had the key switch in the steering column replaced by my mechanic. Next time I drove it the idiot lights on the dash did not come on when I started it, and then I had no speedometer or tachometer, the seat belt light was stuck on and the bell for it was going off at random even though I was buckled up. The voltage gauge wasn't working either. When I looked under the dash I saw 2 things that probably are my problem. 1st was a electrical connector that was white and to the left of the column that looked like it broke off a bracket that it is mounted on. 2nd was a black cable that was just hanging down and it had a white piece of plastic near the end of it, it looked like it should plug in somewhere but I couldn't tell where. I am somewhat mechanically inclined but this has me stumped. I'm sure somebody knows what I need to do and what to replace. I could sure use the help.

Thanks, fritoguy15

Old 05-01-05, 12:05 AM
Bring it back to the person who worked on and let him correct it.

Old 05-01-05, 12:16 AM
F
I will probably do that on Monday, but I thought if it was a simple part to replace and just plugging the cable back in I might be able to do it myself. Do you have any ideas about the 2 things I found?

Old 05-01-05, 12:26 AM
Without actually seeing it's hard. Almost sounds like the connector for the ignition sw is not in all the way. The white plastic you refer to sounds like a mechanical mounting of the harness that wouldn't effect electrical operation

Old 05-01-05, 12:39 AM
F
Well thanks for trying I will wait and see if anyone else has an idea and then go back to my mechanic on Monday.

fritoguy15

Old 05-01-05, 12:56 PM
F
I looked under the dash today and the piece I said was broken is attached to the brake pedal shaft and it controls the plunger that works the brake lights which I realized aren't working. Could that have anything to do with the dash lights or speedometer or tach?

Fritoguy15

Old 05-02-05, 10:36 AM
F
Got the car fixed today. It was the brake light switch and some bad wires and a fuse. Now all is well until the next time Thanks.

Fritoguy15

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: