Smoke from windshield

Old 05-01-05, 12:57 AM
Smoke from windshield

I have a 1986 Voyager. Today I noticed on the very bottom left hand corner of the windshield smoke coming inside the vehicle and could hear sizzling. I immediately turned off the defrost and the smoke stopped. I turned it on again and the same thing accurred. Must be a short in the windshield element. I have never delt with any thing like this. Does the whole windshield need to be replaced? What would cause this to accur all of the sudden? Thank you for your help. Don

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-05, 02:34 AM
Smoke?

Can you explain what kind of smoke a little better.Was it a electrical kind of smoke or a steam type of smoke? Did you smell anything?Were was the temp levar set on hot or cold?On the defrost mode the A/C compressor is on and sometimes fog will come out on a humid day.
I dont see why you would have a windshied element in the front window.It was the front window right?

Old 05-01-05, 02:49 AM
It was electrical smoke and like I mentioned I could hear it sizzle. A crack has begun to form in the corner ( about 2" long). The heat can be used without a problem until I switch to defrost. It is the front windshield and the element is along the bottom of the windshield to melt ice, frost or snow from the wipers. Thanks

Old 05-01-05, 04:41 AM
overheat?

I am no expert but if you say the windshield is cracked the only option is replacment of it Why it shorted like that I have no idea seems like there should be a overheat sensor in the system.
I have never had a car were the front windshield was defrosed by electrical elements just by warm air.
I have seen the same thing happen in aircraft that have wires in the windshield.
Just hang in there I am sure someone with more experience on this system will be posting.But as far as the crack in the window thats not a good thing.