2002 Pontiac Firebird - Check Engine Light!

Old 05-01-05, 06:30 AM
swf31901
Visiting Guest
2002 Pontiac Firebird - Check Engine Light!

Hi All - I'm new to this forum and sure hope you can help me before I have a caniption fit. I've got a 2002 Pontiac Firebird that just turned over on 30,000 miles. I was driving down the road today and felt the car skip. Next thing I know the check engine light starts flashing, and then it went off. I put a new tank of gas in on Friday and don't know what could be wrong. Someone please tell me my car isn't dying or that I'm not gonna have to pay through the nose to get it fixed. As you can see, I know very little about cars. I plan on taking it in tomorrow morning to the mechanic, but don't want to worry all day that I'm gonna have to sell my soul to get it fixed. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-01-05, 08:09 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A flashing check engine light indicates a catalyst damaging misfire.Depending on the vehicle in service date it may still be under warranty.If you want pm me your vin and I can check to see if the warranty is still valid on your car.Don't post your vin in the forum.If you feel its out of warranty go to autozone and have them read the codes for you.They do it for free.

Old 05-01-05, 12:18 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It sounds like it's under warranty, unless it's got branded title for being a rebuild. Also depends on the in-service date.
I suspect it's got a 3.8 liter, since the 5.7's rarely developed skipping problems.
I suspect a failed spark plug wire.

Take it to the dealer and see if it's under warranty before spending a penny.
Then, if it's a misfire code, and they condemn the plug wires, tell them you only want the one that's misfiring replaced. And it's accompanying spark plug, as carbon tracking may have occured.
If it's a 5.7 disregard what I just said and repost.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: