AC evaporator coil cleaning / water on floor

Old 05-01-05, 11:48 AM
AC evaporator coil cleaning / water on floor

How difficult is is to clean an evaporator coil in a truck? Is there a cover that is easily visible that can be removed?

When running the AC, I do not have condensate dripping under the car. It actually wets the floor of the truck. There is a small (1/2 in dia. X 1 in long) tube coming out of the firewall. It does not have a hose attached in the engine compartment. Is this tube a part of the AC housing or is it connected to a hose inside the truck? I've inserted a wire approx. 5 inches inside (until I felt a solid resistance) and water still doesn't come out.

I was thinking that the evaporator may be partially blocked and not allowing the water to drain. Is this possible?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-05, 01:11 PM
Take a piece of coat hanger and bend a small hook in it. Use it to pull out whats clogging the drain. The junk clogging it is either in the tube or where it starts in the evap box.

Old 05-01-05, 01:57 PM
Thanks for responding so quickly. I went back and tried again. I inserted a wire (with hook) 11 inches into the tube. I was unable to hook anything and remove it. Is there a easy way to do this from inside the truck?

I retested the AC and it still doesn't drip from the tube.

Old 05-01-05, 02:05 PM
If you can adapt a shop vac and suck it out

Old 05-01-05, 02:14 PM
I don't have a shop vac. Anything else I can try?

Old 05-01-05, 02:15 PM
I don't have a shop vac. The vac I use in my shop can't handle liquids and I guess there is a chance that some water will come out with the blockage if the blockage does come out.

Anything else I can try?