Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

noisy lifters?

NY

05-01-05, 01:13 PM   #1  
noisy lifters?

I heard ticking coming from my valve cover so took it off to check the lifters. I took the cap off my lifters on my overhead cam engine and the presence of burnt oil was there. How do I get my lifters out so I can clean them?
I used the end of a large screw driver to push down on them and they have resistance and there is minimal circular wear on the cap off all the lifters. I'm hoping that once I clean the lifters then the ticking noise will go away.
My husband ran it out of oil so hopefully it's not a spun bearing. Is there any easier way to test for this if the cleaning of the lifter doesn't get rid of the ticking sound?

Sponsored Links

05-01-05, 04:07 PM   #2  
If you want some help you should tell us what you are working on???????? No one here reads minds over the internet.

If he ran it out of oil I am willing to bet you have more problems than stickey lifters.

NY

05-01-05, 04:13 PM   #3  
lifters

I just want to know how to get my lifters out. I took the camshaft off and the cover to the lifter but don't know how to get the lifter out. I pulled on it with pliers but not too much because I don't know what it's attached to. I have the Michell's Manual but it's not very helpful when you have to actually take something apart. All the pictures and diagrams I have seen, it looks like they are just sitting in the bore chamber. Do I need a special tool to take these out or twist them in some way to get them to come out.
I know once I get them out, to put them back in the original position.
This all started because of a ticking noise and was recommended to take a look at my lifters to see if there was any damage to them or built up varnish on them.

05-02-05, 08:01 AM   #4  
How would you help someone if you don't know what they are working on?
Good luck and have a nice day.

05-02-05, 12:06 PM   #5  
Posted By: danaohare I just want to know how to get my lifters out.
Depends on the engine
What Make/Model/Year/Engine?

Have the oil and filter been changed since the episode?

NY

05-03-05, 03:10 PM   #6  
lifters

It's a 99 Isuzu Trooper with a 3.5 V6 engine. The oil and filter have been changed since. I put 5W 30 in. Someone told me to use a large strong magnet to pull them out because they are just sitting in the bore chamber. Is this correct or are they just pulling my leg?

Last edited by danaohare; 05-03-05 at 03:12 PM. Reason: additional info

05-03-05, 03:23 PM   #7  
Ha ha
Sounds funny but it does work on some
I don't know about yours though
If it's already apart you can try it
Just don't mess up the order if you take them out

Unless the ticking is really bad or mechanical a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil or Rislone added to the crankcase could quiet it down some

NY

05-03-05, 03:33 PM   #8  
lifters

The ticking is pretty loud but only coming from the left side of the engine. I can put my had on the valve cover (before I took it off) and feel the vibration. The other side didn't have that feeling.
What does those oils do to the engine and once I put it in, do I change my oil and filter again after I put that in?

05-03-05, 04:25 PM   #9  
Hi Danaohare,

I'm not a mechanic, but have used Marvel Mystery oil in my crank Case. It is a thin redish colored oil, that will help clean the carbon and varnish out of your engine. It's way safe to use in every oil change, and probably a good idea in this case. Don't be afraid to use it, it's good stuff.

cuedude

05-04-05, 02:45 AM   #10  
Posted By: danaohare It's a 99 Isuzu Trooper with a 3.5 V6 engine. The oil and filter have been changed since. I put 5W 30 in. Someone told me to use a large strong magnet to pull them out because they are just sitting in the bore chamber. Is this correct or are they just pulling my leg?
Pulling your leg! for what may I ask?.

I'm the one who suggested using the magnet to pull them up. I guess all those years working for Isuzu, that was just a luck. Oh well.

05-04-05, 04:01 AM   #11  
Posted By: New guy Pulling your leg! for what may I ask?.

I'm the one who suggested using the magnet to pull them up. I guess all those years working for Isuzu, that was just a luck. Oh well.
I'm sure it was nothing personal
It could sound funny to someone who doesn't know
"Oh just stick a magnet in there, it'll pull them out"
It does sound like you could've just made that up

When was the magnet solution suggested?
Was this question posted before?

NY

05-04-05, 11:49 AM   #12  
Apology

I'm sorry New Guy if I offended you. I didn't mean to but it did sound kind of strange. I've been on other forum sites where people have given me silly advice and me being a naive female believed them. When going to a automotive store and telling them what I'm doing and why I'm buying what I'm buying, they tell me I was given the wrong advice and direct me on the right path. I just looked and felt silly. I always like to get a second opinion now.
I'm glad you weren't giving me bad advice. Please don't take offense.
I will be trying that technique this weekend and hope for the best. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again to everyone who had good advice for me.

Search this Thread