Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Rusted on rotor 89 Toyota Celica

MD

05-02-05, 03:29 AM   #1  
Rusted on rotor 89 Toyota Celica

I was trying to replace the front rotors on my 1987 Toyota Celica and I can't get the old rotors off. It looks like the only thing holding them on is rust.

First - after taking off the wheel, caliper, and Caliper bracket, is there anything else I have to remove to get the rotor off? I ask this because according to the repair instructions on AutoZone's web site, I have to also remove the "torque plate". What is that? I believe they are referring to the caliper bracket because they don't mention that anywhere, but I have never heard the caliper bracket be called a "torque plate". It sure looks like there is nothing else to remove.

Secondly, how do I remove the rusted on rotor? I have tried prying and hammering from the back with no luck, I have sprayed it down with PB Blaster and that doesn't help. I have tried to screw in bolts to the two open bolt holes but they are so rusted that after a few turns, the bolts broke off.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

05-02-05, 12:43 PM   #2  
No, there is nothing else holding them except the rust.

Keep spraying, hitting them from behind and they will loosen up. (The opening where the pads were)

Visiting Guest

05-06-05, 10:16 AM   #3  
popps
I have used a maul a few times. An ax or a sledge hammer with a long handle will work. Time is money, I hate to fool around with rusted stuff. ( assuming you are buying new rotors) I don't know about yours, but some foreign cars have a small screw holding the rotor on as well

Search this Thread