Transmission woes, ATX 84 Tempo

Old 05-05-05, 08:12 AM
Angry Transmission woes, ATX 84 Tempo

Need some help on a ATX transmission in a 84 Ford Tempo with a 2.3l HSC engine. A little history may be helpful, but I will try not to go into it to much. This has become my “hobby” car and has spent more time with the engine out of it than in. A wiser man would probably get rid of it and cut his loses, but it has become a personal thing now and I would like to get the thing running, so I can drive the crap out of it!!!!
Anyhow, I just got the engine back together; the tranny overhauled about 7,000 miles ago. Everything was going great, car was driving well, all was looking good, had driven about 500 miles since installation of the engine. No weird noises, maybe a miss in idle but was going to start looking at the vacuum lines for this.
Than I came to a stop at a stoplight the other day and when I pulled away my little world came crashing down. When the car went to shift from 1st to 2nd I heard a “crack, pop, bang” , something along the lines of what a manual trans sounds like when it pops out of gear. I lost all power, drive to the wheels. The engine was running, but the tranny wouldn’t drive the wheels, in any gear. Had to have the hemorrhoid towed home, to be looked at another day.
Well, I thought maybe just maybe, I didn’t get one of the half-shafts in the trans all the way and it had some how popped out and therefore the tranny thought that wheel was spinning. So jacked the car up to check that out. If I turn one tire the other one will turn also (opposite direction of course, but it turns). Place the car in gear and nothing happens.
Are there any “in car” checks I can make to narrow my search down to as what failed? I would really like to try to prevent having to pull the engine and tranny, yet another time, if I don’t have to. Where do I start, so I can get as much information to narrow the problem down, before draining fluids and dismantling it? Are there items on this tranny that would cause this problem that I can check, without pulling the whole thing out of the car?
Sorry this is so long, but I had to vent a little too.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-05, 05:19 PM
Question

What do you mean when you say you place the car in gear and nothing happens? I assume you mean the engine is running and the car is still off its front wheels?

Does the speedometer register anything when it's in gear? Just curious..

It sounds like you have some serious internal issues with the transmission. There'd have to be some serious cv-shaft damage for the shaft end to slip out of the transmission or bearing assembly at the wheel. Unless the balljoint fails or something else that would be more concerning than your current problem.

Do you get any gear grinding noises when the engine is running and it's in gear (say... drive)? Do you get any change in any sounds the car makes when you shift through the gears?

Who rebuilt your transmission? For the heck of it, how many miles?

Old 05-05-05, 08:41 PM
popps
Visiting Guest
First of all it's a ford---- just kidding. With the ATX you have to get a prybar and pop out the axles from underneath. I would drop the pan ( suck it up it's only fluid) unless the shop will not warentee it, because you had messed with it. Anyway if it's not warenteed drop the pan and make sure your axles are all the way in. Turn the wheel and check the rotation. Check for small parts in the pan too.

Old 05-06-05, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by Jason R
What do you mean when you say you place the car in gear and nothing happens? I assume you mean the engine is running and the car is still off its front wheels?
Yes, the engine running, wheels up.....wheels don't turn, speedometer does nothing.

It sounds like you have some serious internal issues with the transmission. There'd have to be some serious cv-shaft damage for the shaft end to slip out of the transmission or bearing assembly at the wheel. Unless the balljoint fails or something else that would be more concerning than your current problem. ?
I have come to the same conclusion, believe the problems are internal. Was hoping someone would be able to give some "in vehicle" checks to make before I pull the pan and start looking around.
The tranny has maybe 5000 mile on it, since the rebuild. Installed a new torque converter at the same time. Does anyone know what a torque converter sounds like when it goes out?

Do you get any gear grinding noises when the engine is running and it's in gear (say... drive)? Do you get any change in any sounds the car makes when you shift through the gears?
I get a hum out of the tranny, maybe the sound of the pump moving fluid through the tranny. However, I don't believe the torque converter is ever "locking in". I don't know maybe the converter is locking, but the pump isn't pumping!?!?!?!? There are no external leaks, so seals and case are good.

Had a old retired transmission guy rebuild the tranny, he has done several for me and for friends. We haven't had any problems before, so he does good work. However, he has since moved away or I would have taken it back out to him for some assistance.

Guess it may be time to either find some one out here to take a look at it or tear into it and see what I can see.

"Popps"
I know it is a Ford, but it looks to good on blocks to get rid of!!
It is also a 1984, so I do believe the warrenty has expired many moons ago. I know it is only fluid, but I was looking at making some checks prior to draining the fluid, if I got any input on what checks to make.
I have had the engine/tranny out of this car more times than I would like to admit.....thinking about using velcro to put it back in next time, so it will be easier to pull!!
As I said, in my first post, "A wiser man would cut his losses and get rid of it, but it has become personel now!!"

Thanks for the input, when I get the chance I will be making the checks and tearing into this thing. I will post back to let you all know what is going on with it. If nothing else we can have a good laugh or cry together.

Old 05-06-05, 01:41 PM
Unfortunately trying to test the car with the wheels off the ground is not a good test since you most likely have an open differential (which is what most cars have) and the spider gears will simply spin around the shafts. The wheels have to be loaded to lock the spider gears. One driveshaft turning in opposite direction when you turn the other is also to be expected from an open differential.

Sounds like there has been some kind of internal failure. There are some checks that can be done without pulling the tranny out - things like stall speed and line pressure. The service manual for your trans will tell you what the tests are and how you can do them. My suggestion would be to buy the appripriate manual and do the tests yourself - you will probably need some tools like an oil pressure gauge to do this. These tests will better pinpoint the likely cause.