Serpentine belt squeal

Old 05-05-05, 11:21 AM
Serpentine belt squeal

Sorry, seems this would be a common question, but search turns up no hits. I have a 2002 Chrysler Voyager minivan with 3.3 V6 engine and 19,000 miles. The serpentine belt has begun squealing, only at idle. The belt looks OK visually and the tension seems fine by touch. I'm told you're not supposed to use belt dressing on these belts. Is there an easy DIY solution to stop the squealing, short of a shop visit? (When I called they wanted me to bring it in to check )

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-05, 12:49 PM
This is a common problem on the caravans with 3.3 / 3.8.

Usually a pulley is the culprit. Generally the tensioner pulley or idler pulley.

As far as I know, belt dressing will not hurt these belts. If you end up changing the tensioner pulley make sure the mating surface between the pulley assembly and the engine is clean. They must mate up exactly straight or you'll have trouble with your belt wearing oddly and probably much more quickly.

If you replace the belt I suggest a goodyear gatorback. It was the only one that didn't squeal on my caravan with 3.8 at high rpm.

Old 05-05-05, 04:35 PM
3-36 basic bumper to bumper warranty. Have you try to contact your local dealer yet?.

Old 05-05-05, 04:50 PM
A little belt dressing won't hurt

Old 05-06-05, 02:51 PM
The dealer's recommendation for a DIY solution to belt squeal was to put Comet cleanser on it. Found that rather bizarre. Any comments?

I did make a service appointment for next week as it seems to be getting worse by the day. Thinking now maybe it's not belt squeal but the idler pulley. Seems to be coming mostly from that vicinity anyway.

Naturally, the vehicle went out of bumper-bumper warranty at the end of April.