Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hard to start 1992 Honda Accord

Visiting Guest

05-05-05, 12:55 PM   #1  
dis
Hard to start 1992 Honda Accord

It started late last summer; the accord would turn over seeming to want to start, just not able to. I have a repair guide, and going with it I at first changed the plug wires, cap and rotor. The cap had a green corrosion on it, and since the cap and rotor were still the original I changed them. The problem persisted, and I eventually changed the coil also, and still the problem was not gone. I went to a friends shop because according the repair guide it could either be the ignition control module, or the fuel pump. He had a fuel pressure gauge and checked the pressure and it was within specs. I changed out the icm and the problem seemed to have gone away, this was in October. Now that the weather is starting to get warmer here in El Paso the problem is back. The car starts fine in the morning, it sits in a garage, but when I leave work or go out to lunch, and with the heat starting up again it is hard to start. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-05-05, 08:53 PM   #2  
popps
Yup it looks like you covered alot here, did you check the injectors? When it is running you can listen to each one individually with a long extension bar, to your ear. Listen for the same tone at the injectors ( Quick troubleshoot) If you don't know what I mean, just reply.

Visiting Guest

05-06-05, 08:09 AM   #3  
dis
Fuel Injectors

I'll try that over the weekend, I have a long extension for my socket set and I am assuming that is the extension you are refering to. I'll let you know.

05-06-05, 08:46 PM   #4  
If you are having trouble starting the car when the interior is hot from sitting in the sun on a hot day, Hondas are known for having a relay under the dash that goes bad & the car won't start. If you roll down the windows, open the doors and let the interior cool off, and the car will start then it is likely a bad relay.

Visiting Guest

05-07-05, 04:10 AM   #5  
popps
Do you know what the relay is what it controls?

05-07-05, 02:37 PM   #6  
Posted By: popps Do you know what the relay is what it controls?
I'm sorry but I do not remember. But it is a common enough problem that a good Honda parts person should be able to tell you what relay it is, our parts guy knew exactly what it was. If necessary ask the service manager & if he does not know ask him to ask one of his techs.

There of course can be other reasons for a no start condition. First see if the car meets the symptoms in my first post.

NC

05-07-05, 03:44 PM   #7  
Have you checked for spark and fuel pressure when the car won't start? Have you checked or replaced the spark plugs?

05-21-05, 03:29 AM   #8  
Bad solder joints in the main relay.
http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troub.../aa010301a.htm

Search this Thread