Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Still stalling after a lot of work...

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

05-05-05, 04:00 PM   #1  
Still stalling after a lot of work...

I have an 83 Dodge pickup D150 with a slant 6 engine 727 auto, 2bbl carb 2wd. I changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor and had the carb rebuilt 5k ago. I chnged the air filter and the pcv valve this week. I changed the fuel pump and fuel filter today and the truck is still stalling. I hear an exhaust leak I have to find yet, and the guy at the local parts store suggested a bad valve cover gasket. Could either of these things cause the truck not to run if I have my foot off the gas pedal?

Sponsored Links

05-05-05, 04:54 PM   #2  
You may have a vacuum leak at or along the intake manifold, bad gasket will causing vacuum leaks, try to keep it running at idle if you can and partially cover the carb air horn (air cleaner off) with a piece of shop rag and see if the idle smooth out, if it does, you have a leak some where after the carb, I used to use some carb cleaner and spray along the suspected area to find the leak, stay away from ignition parts like plug wires and distributor cap ( I covered them up before spray on it) idle will change (smooth out or stalls) when you hit the bad spot.

**** BE CAREFUL WHEN USING CARB CLEANER TO SPRAY ON HOT ENGINE, IT MAY/WILL CATCH FIRE ******.

05-05-05, 04:56 PM   #3  
Posted By: Hirsch an exhaust leak ...a bad valve cover gasket. Could either of these things cause the truck not to run if I have my foot off the gas pedal?
No

There could be a vacuum leak though
Is that what you hear?
That could stall it when your foots off the gas

05-05-05, 04:57 PM   #4  
Whups...guess New guy types faster

05-07-05, 10:08 AM   #5  
It idles really rough and then stalls out when I take my foot off of the gas pedal. I am wondering if it could be the coil going bad, because the truck does run fine if I keep my foot on the gas. I checked all the vacuum hoses, but I will check along the gaskets. Kinda made me wonder because this happened very suddenly. Truck was running fine, turned it off and it started acting like this.

Visiting Guest

05-07-05, 01:34 PM   #6  
popps
Hirsh you in Mass too?

05-07-05, 02:27 PM   #7  
Posted By: Hirsch ...I am wondering if it could be the coil going bad...
If you can find the specs you can check the resistance with a DVOM

05-07-05, 08:54 PM   #8  
check the egr valve to make sure its not stuck open, also could be a carb problem if you cant find any vacum leaks I would really doubt it would be an ignition coil.

PA

05-07-05, 10:33 PM   #9  
Posted By: bejay check the egr valve to make sure its not stuck open, also could be a carb problem if you cant find any vacum leaks I would really doubt it would be an ignition coil.
Double check for vacuum leaks! Sounds like my D50 problem I had recently. I checked a second time and found one little vacuum hose unhooked! Runs great now! Jack

05-09-05, 08:04 AM   #10  
Hirsch, after you've spent a lot of good money on your truck I would suggest you replace every vacuum hose you have in the truck, also check that the carb is tightened down correctly, also when the carb was rebuilt did you use a new gasket under the carb.

05-09-05, 12:25 PM   #11  
I did put in a new gasket. The old one was blacker than driveway tar in the dark. I will try to see if I can replace the vacuum hoses, but this week or next, I gotta get a tooth pulled ( broken molar) that is driving me nuts occasionally. I do don't live in Mass, I live in Connectitax, however I am a diehard Red Sox fan. The carb was rebuilt 5 months ago and I tightened the bolts to just shy of breaking them. I was thinking coli problem because of the fact that the coil wire to the distributor cap comes loose by itself occasionally.

05-09-05, 12:26 PM   #12  
Slickshift, I grew up in Old Saybrook, OSHS class of '92.

05-09-05, 05:41 PM   #13  
Posted By: Hirsch Slickshift, I grew up in Old Saybrook, OSHS class of '92.
Woah
Small world
OSHS Class of '82

Ya know the boy's basketball team won the state championship this year
First time since '47
Pretty good for such a small town
'Course it is a small state
Ha ha

05-10-05, 12:28 PM   #14  
Cool!!! My rommmate is an NFA grad and kind of batty hearing how O.S. sucks even though it is just one town and NFA is a community school. The tooh pulling went well. I got the molar plus a wisdom tooth I never knew I had out today. Gotta quit smoking for 24 hrs. This should be a cute nightmare.

Last edited by Hirsch; 05-10-05 at 12:31 PM. Reason: wanted to add more info.

Search this Thread