'89 Dodge Spirt & interval wipers don't work

Old 05-06-05, 10:09 AM
'89 Dodge Spirt & interval wipers don't work

The wipers work at both speeds, but in the adjustable interval position, all they do is continuously wipe. There is no delay.
I have changed out the module and all that did was stop the 'dead' spots through the resistance range of the varible 'pot' at the end of the turn signal stalk for the adjustable delay. That surprised me that that caused that effect.
Other than the 'pot' which would require replaceing the whole turn signal stalk, is there any other thing I could check? I did the troubleshhting procedures and it pointed to the module which I didn't think was the problem, but replaced it anyway.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-05, 03:52 AM
DKM
I've usually found the problem/fault to be the switch or a rub thru on the wiring from the switch to the modual in the steering column. Especialy, if it's equipped with tilt steering wheel, gets rub thru on wires.

David

Old 05-08-05, 05:49 AM
I changed the module before with two from a junkl yard, but there was NO difference.
I was talked into getting a new one freom the dealer and when I changed it out the 'dead' spots through the travel of the varible pot on the end of the stalk were gone. That makes no sense since those dead spots where the blades would stop altogether clearly indicate a bad pot (very common problem with ANY control that has a wipper arm that gets dirty, worn or corroded.

I just don't want to change out that arm id there is a chance it is something else. The 4 contacts to the motor itself; two are the motor and the othewr two are the 'park' contact, correct?

"Rub thru", are you refering to worn through insulation?

Old 05-08-05, 09:27 AM
DKM
Yes, rub thru is where the insolation or even the wire itself is worn thru. Been years since I've done a diagnose on a MOPAR for intermittant wiper failure. I left the Dodge Dealership in '98. A rubbed thru wire or shorted wire could cause damage to the intermittant wiper control modual or broken wire to the modual would cause the modual to not get a signal.

1st most comman problem on older MOPAR wiper motors was bad ground to motor. But since normal and Hi speeds work OK, probably not the fault on yours.

2nd, are you sure there is only 1 connector (4 wire) @ the motor? For some reason I 'm thinking there was two connectors. 1 kinda if the front of the motor and another near the bottom on the far end. Like I said it's been a while and maybe I'm thinking of a older style. If it does have only 4 wires going to the motor and the washer pump is in the motor then the 4 wires would be Ground, Low Speed, Hi Speed and Washer Pump. The wiper delay modual controls the low speed in delay mode and the Park Mechanism is mechanicial, but I could be wrong. Also, on some MOPAR's the wiper switch is part of the Turn Signal Lever and in some the Lever just plugs into the Wiper/Washer Switch mounted on the turn signal switch.

That's about all I've got without being there to look at exactly what you've got or having a service manual to go through the pinpoint tests.

David

Old 05-09-05, 05:10 AM
The washer pump is separate. Only 4 wires; Lo, Hi, Park 1 & Park 2. Wipers park ok.

Old 05-09-05, 12:15 PM
On a lot of Chrysler products the intermittant wirpers are controlled
by the BCM (Body Computer). I don't know about yours, but if you
have a Haynes manual on your car it will tell you.

Old 05-09-05, 08:06 PM
It is a separate module which was changed as I said.