Weird acting temp gauge, also another Q

Old 05-07-05, 10:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Weird acting temp gauge, also another Q

I have an 83 Dodge D150 pickup slant 6, 727 auto, 2wd 2bbbl carb. The temperature is normal. I park the truck to buy gas or groceries, and when i restart the truck, the gauge comes close to overheating but goes back down to normal after about 1 minute of driving. Is this a sign of a bad thermostat? My coolant level is fine, but I am planning on changing it soon, just wondered if the thermostat is causing this problem, so I will know to replace it when I change my antifreeze, due to the fact I have no idea how long it has been in the truck.

I placed an ad on www.uneedapart.com requesting a 30 gallon gas tank for this truck a week ago, and no bites yet, which seems kind of weird since the tank was used form 81-87 on the D150, D250 and D350 models. Went to a junkyard a ways from my house yesterday (40 min drive) because they said they had a good tank, found out that it was smashed by the lift to get the truck to its resting spot. Even harder to believe that JC Whiteny does not have any polyprolene (sp?) gas tanks for full size Dodge pickup, but they have a ton of them for Chevy and Ford. AAAAAARRRRGGHHHH!!!! Does anyone have an idea where I can find this tank in good condition?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-05, 09:30 PM
its normal for the temp to increase after shutting off the vehicle when you restart it a few minutes later the temp will usually read high but should come down to normal range usually within about 30 seconds whether you are drivng or just idling.

Old 05-09-05, 12:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
TYVM, it really made me wonder. This is my 28th vehicle and I do not remember ever seeing that before.