Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Transmission problem--major? or minor?

Visiting Guest

05-10-05, 03:05 AM   #1  
turkeyhunter
Transmission problem--major? or minor?

Just purchased a 2002 Chevrolet cavalier with 53,000 miles-transmission slipping (no guarantee). Discovered transmission was way over filled. Drained over two quarts of transmission fluid from trans (no dip stick so don't know if level is correct or not). Removed plug and am still getting fluid with car running in park. Now transmission is slipping in second gear but NOT slipping when it is shifted manually. Do I have a big problem or something that can be fixed without removing trans? Bought for grandaughter with her money and boy, do I need help. I did all the checks before I bought this car and it shifted through the gears effortlessly.

Sponsored Links

WV

05-10-05, 03:32 AM   #2  
You drained the fluid with the engine running??? You likely fried all of the friction materials in the trans if you did that. The fluid may have been causing to slip, but not likely. Most likely it has a minor problem until you drained it. Now the problem is major. I would take it to a transmission shop immediately. Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Visiting Guest

05-10-05, 05:06 AM   #3  
turkeyhunter
Cavalier has no dip stick--drained it out of the plug where you check the oil level (as per Chevrolet garage). Transmission was overfilled when car was purchased. Must be running and in park to drain excess oil.

05-11-05, 08:38 PM   #4  
You may simply have a sticky 1-2 shift valve. The oil circuit in the different shift positions sometimes use different fluid passages and this could explain why it does not slip when shifted manually. Your post is not clear but I think you are saying there is no slip in "2".

You could try adding a bottle of "Lubegard Red". I am somewhat skeptical of additives but I decided to try some myself. It claims to smooth shifts, stop slipping etc. I recently rebuilt my trans and found that the shifts had got harsher than they used to be.

I was pleasantly suprised to find that it has made the shifts much smoother and quieter. You may want to try adding this and seeing if it helps.

WV

05-12-05, 03:39 AM   #5  
Turkeyhunter... I was unaware of that method of checking the fluid level on your particular car. However I did verify it in my Alldata. It is very possible you have something going on like Rav12 mentioned. I myself have used additives in the past with no noticeable improvements or likewise. You could try it or just take it to a trans shop for proper diagnosis. Then go from there. Im not sure if your vehicle is equipped with a vacuum (or electrical) modulator valve but that is also a possibility if it is. The give away is the non-slippage while shifting manually. Just something else for you to look into.
Billy

Search this Thread