92 chevy not going into 4x4

Old 05-10-05, 02:43 PM
my86chevy
Visiting Guest
Exclamation 92 chevy not going into 4x4

My 92 chevy doesn't shift into 4x4 and doesn't light up on the floor. It goes into 4 wheel high and low nice and smooth. I took off the actuator and had someone shift it in and out of 4 wheel drive and the actuator moved in and out. So now I am wondering what else it might be....anyone have any ideas? A few months ago I replaced the outter axle seal and I had to pull out the shaft that was on the side that the actuator was on and a person at work told me that I could just slide it back in and not worry about anything. Is that true? I thinking that he might of been wrong and there is something inside the house that might not be sliding back into place right. The axle slides all the way back into the housing with about a 1/4'' gap between the housing and the plate that the cv joint bolts to. I wish I would have check it when I did the seal, that was a big mistake on my part, now I don't know if I did something wrong then or if it is something else that went wrong since then. Any info would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-05, 02:01 PM
my86chevy
Visiting Guest
I see that everyone is reading my tread but I have no replies yet. If anyone has any questions please let me know I will give you any info you need. I went back and re-read the tread and I thought that maybe I explained the first part the wrong way. Basically what I meant to say is that my truck is shifting nice and smooth from 4 high all the way to 4 low inside the cab but the 4x4 doesn't light up and the truck doesn't shift into 4 wheel drive at all. Anyone have any suggestions at all this one has me confused

Old 05-14-05, 05:59 AM
I have bad news for u.
When you took the right axle out, a thrust washer has slid out of position, and now the shift mechanism inside the axle is inhibited.
You will need to remove the right extension housing(five 15mm bolts), relocate the washer(you'll see what I mean when u disasssemble), and reseal the housing back on . The sealant used is anerobic sealant.
If you knew in advance, you could have prevented this by having the axle shifted into 4wd, and then pop the axle out. OH well, hind sight......
It's not a train wreck, but this will be a pain for you .

Old 05-14-05, 07:24 AM
my86chevy
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info!!! Even though I have some work to do now it is nice to know what is wrong I was getting kinda worried that I wouldn't find out and I wanted to hear from a pro that it was the shaft before I took it all a part again. I wish I would have known. I asked a friend at work who (works on cars on the side) about the shaft out and he said everything would be fine just pull it out and put it back in.......well guess not! Thanks alot for the help time to go and do some work on my toy!!

Old 05-14-05, 08:19 PM
my86chevy
Visiting Guest
bigguy05641 Just wanted to tell you thanks again and that you were right. It took the housing off and there was the thrust washer! It was a little damaged, so was the pilot bearing so I will be running to the parts store tomorrow to get the new parts and put it back together. Then my toy will be up and running again!!!

Old 05-15-05, 08:57 AM
No problemo.
YOu'll probly have to make a trip to the dealer to find that stuff though. You could probably flatten that washer back down with a hammer in a pinch. ..