Rusted rocker panels on 1998 Chevy Venture

Old 05-11-05, 01:54 AM
techtim
Visiting Guest
Rusted rocker panels on 1998 Chevy Venture

I have a 1998 Chevy Venture, 85K miles. I keep it clean and garaged, and rarely have driven on gravel roads.

I was disappointed to find that rocker panels on both sides of the van have rusted through in a small area about 6" in front of the rear tires. I think this is really poor quality to have such severe rust in only 7 years.

I got a quote from my Chevy dealer for $1900 to replace both rocker panels. I called Chevy's customer service to see if this would be covered by their 6 year 100k mile warranty. Got nowhere with that.

Are there any other alternatives? What about just having the rust ground out and repaired. Would this last?

Thanks, Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-05, 10:53 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by techtim
I have a 1998 Chevy Venture, 85K miles. I keep it clean and garaged, and rarely have driven on gravel roads.

I was disappointed to find that rocker panels on both sides of the van have rusted through in a small area about 6" in front of the rear tires. I think this is really poor quality to have such severe rust in only 7 years.

I got a quote from my Chevy dealer for $1900 to replace both rocker panels. I called Chevy's customer service to see if this would be covered by their 6 year 100k mile warranty. Got nowhere with that.

Are there any other alternatives? What about just having the rust ground out and repaired. Would this last?

Thanks, Tim
Tim, sure you or someone could do the bodywork. Could either replace the panels or just repair them. I replaced the ones on my truck and did it rather cheaply! I have used bodyfiller on many repairs and have gotten good results if done correctly. Good body filler job should last quite some time if done correctly. I used a lot of bodyfiller on my car and that was 7years ago. It still looks good! So, it pretty much depends on how good of a job is done. Since rocker panels are on the bottom of the van sometimes they are painted a different color anyway. So, you could just fix them yourself and paint them a contrasting color like black? All depends on how good a job you want? Jack

Old 05-15-05, 03:28 AM
techtim
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by unclejack
Tim, sure you or someone could do the bodywork. Could either replace the panels or just repair them. I replaced the ones on my truck and did it rather cheaply! I have used bodyfiller on many repairs and have gotten good results if done correctly. Good body filler job should last quite some time if done correctly. I used a lot of bodyfiller on my car and that was 7years ago. It still looks good! So, it pretty much depends on how good of a job is done. Since rocker panels are on the bottom of the van sometimes they are painted a different color anyway. So, you could just fix them yourself and paint them a contrasting color like black? All depends on how good a job you want? Jack
After getting several repair quotes, I am going to do something like this. The pocker panels are barely visible, so I don't mind doing a small repair myself. Also, this van is no longer our "main" family transportation. I use it as a work and hauling vehicle. If the repair isn't perfect, I won't worry. I hope to get another 3 to 5 years out of this vehicle, and paying for a professional repair just doesn't seem like a good use of $$$$.

Thanks for your reply,
Tim

Old 05-15-05, 09:06 AM
I fixed some holes in the bed of my pickup using tiger hair. Get the stuff that does not absorb moisture. Spread it out over a piece of plastic sheeting, the stuff you get your dry cleaning covered with. This is called a "taco". Pick up the plastic with the tiger hair in it, and apply it over the hole. After it's cured, spray some rock guard over it, which will leave a thick rubberized coating over it, and you're done.

Old 05-16-05, 09:53 AM
Plan a family vacation to Mexico, drive down and have the work done for about 1/10th of what it would cosr up here and they do fabulous work.