Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T error code P1400

05-11-05, 02:15 PM   #1  
97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T error code P1400

I jst saw my car's check engine light come on and so i hooked up a computer to it to read the codes. It came back telling me that it found 1 code by the number of "P1400 Mod$00 Manufacturer controls Auxiliary emissions controls" If anyone can help me on whatthis might mean and how i can fix it, i t would really help.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with that such code, but the car has been leaking oil for a couple weeks now and when it idles in park or drive it tends to start smoking like it is burning the oil. It's done that for some time now, so I'm not sure that is the problem. Along with this, when i have been cruising on a road then let off the gas, the engine cuts off acceleration but it sounds like a street racing exhaust. Again, either of these problems may not be what this code is saying, but just incase anyone has any idea what that might mean.

Sponsored Links

05-12-05, 06:11 AM   #2  
go to http://groups.google.com and do a search for P1400 and see what other say.

VA

05-12-05, 07:03 AM   #3  
P1400...

is an MDP sensor. on turbo equipped engines a special sensor is used to measure manifold pressure (MDP=Manifold differential pressure)...or the difference between manifold pressure and barometric pressure. the engine controller has seen values outside of what is programmed normal and therefore set the code. manifold pressure sensing is critical to fuel management. if the sensor is remote mounted and has a hose going to it...check the hose for splits, holes, soft places that might collapse, kinks or anything else that might prevent the pressure signal from reaching the sensor. if it's not that simple...you may a have a failed sensor or engine controller. to sort that out you need to do some specific pinpoint testing using the trouble tree for that code plus a DVOM...at the very least.

05-13-05, 06:08 AM   #4  
Most auto mechanics would probably just change the sensor and send you on your way, after charging you a hefty fee for the part. If it were my car I'd check for vacuum leaks everywhere, including all devices that use vacuum (espically the ones going to the sensor). While it could be a bad sensor just the same, I have a suspician that the code is giving you a symptom and the real problem might be a vacuum leak or valve cover gasket, etc.

05-14-05, 10:43 AM   #5  
Thanks for the ideas. Mostly the very last one about the valve cover gasket. I jsut recently replaced that after doing a tune-up and such to my car. I would cruise at about 40 mph on a road and it would start to kind of "miss" almost like it's tripping. I asked my brother-in-law and he said do a tune-up and check all vacuum areas. One being the valve cover gasket, which is what the problem was. Aft eri replaced it, it ran great. Up until recently when the "tripping" has come back. I've been leaking oil too, so I'm pretty sure that this is the problem. I may not have got that gasket in their completely and it's not sealed, which is leading to the broken vacuum seal and the oil leaking and the check engine light.

So thanks again for the input, i'll go try this and if ti doesn't work, I'll be back again.

Thanks, Joe

05-15-05, 09:55 PM   #6  
Issue solved! I opened up the valve cover and discovered that part of the gasket in a corner (same corner/area that oil seemed to be spraying from) was broken. No idea how it got that way, but it could ahve something to do with the fact that in that same area, the valve cover was cracked. So we filled that in with some JB Weld, I think is what it is called, and replaced the gasket area with some Blue, sensoer-safe gasket filler. It seems to have worked for now, but in the coming weeks, I'll find out if it has completely worked.

One last question though. My cars till burns oil like mad. When I idle for a few minutes it begins to smoke, and I know that it is burning oil. The longer I sit, the worse it gets. Then, when i pull out from wherever I am, it will smoke even more. Just today as I sat in a drive-thru, it started to smoke...I sat for a long time and when I drove off smoke poured out like a blown engine in a NASCAR race. You'd've thought the car was on fire! But, given all the same information, I just replaced my air filter, tune-up, oil change, valve cover gasket, valve cover fix-up, soon to replace alternator belt and emissions pump belt, i think. That's all the information I can think of that you may need. Please help.

VA

05-16-05, 05:23 AM   #7  
blue smoke during extended idle...

...is usually caused by worn or defective valve stem seals...especially in a high mileage car. it could also be worn valve guides...not unusual in a mitsubishi engine altho you may have a daimler-chrysler built engine in your car. still...blue smoke on cold start up and after extended idle is almost always valve seal/guide related.

seals can usually be done in the car but requires some special tools and procedures. valve guides require cylinder head removal and a trip to a good machinist.

05-16-05, 10:06 AM   #8  
Posted By: carguyinva ...is usually caused by worn or defective valve stem seals...especially in a high mileage car. it could also be worn valve guides...not unusual in a mitsubishi engine altho you may have a daimler-chrysler built engine in your car. still...blue smoke on cold start up and after extended idle is almost always valve seal/guide related.

seals can usually be done in the car but requires some special tools and procedures. valve guides require cylinder head removal and a trip to a good machinist.

It's the Mitsubishi engines that are used in Chrseler products that suck. Mitsubishi doesn't use Chrysler engines.

If I had a cracked valve cover, I'd replace it with one from the junk yard. No JB Weld for me there. I also think you need new rings.

VA

05-16-05, 10:15 AM   #9  
rings?

how can you tell?

05-17-05, 06:08 AM   #10  
Posted By: carguyinva how can you tell?
New rings and a valve job. I wouldn't do the rings without doing a valve job anyway. Just covering everything else it's likely to be.

Search this Thread